Thread: Bad cradle?

Bad cradle?

Is it common or at least unheard of that one of the network ports can fail in the cradle. I have four Echomap ultra units and one of them is not showing up on the network. The one with LS.

I have swapped the cables around and can change which devices show up and anything downstream of a certain network port is not on the network.

Alll units work fine,just anything downstream of that port is independent. Livescop works great too, just shows up on one unit.

What is the warranty on the cradle. I have had my units just over a year.

Also. Is the cradle the same for both 10” and 12” units.

Thanks

2. Member
    I had the same problem. I have the GMS-10 network hub. The connectors are tricky, I make sure to push cable all the way in flush while turning the round connector to left like I am removing it. You will feel cable go in more sometimes. Then tighten to the right. My cable was not plugged in flush all the way.
    Cradles are the same. Only diff is the size of the gimbal brackets.
    Do you have the Network Hub?

3. Member
    Thanks. I had it in and out half a dozen times and pushed it in like I was going ram it clear through the unit..... to but it does not hurt to check it again as you suggest and I will when I get home.

No. No network hub.

Console Left to Console Right to Bow Top to Bow Bottom to LS box. The issue is the "right" (when looking from behind) port on the Bow Top cradle.

As I said, I can get any combination of three to work with any cable so the cables are OK.....just anything out of the right port on Bow Top is not on the network.

Thanks again

4. Member
    I do know that the small connector network cable that comes with livescope system is wired diff than a regular network cable. My livescope unit would not shut down with the other units on the network. Something diff about it than the regular network cable. I don't know if it has something to do with a slight time delay switching on the LS box when power is applied.
    I ran it (livescope network cable) to the hub and ran a regular network cable to the livescope unit to the hub and problem solved.
    If you disconnect the livescope network cable I wonder if you will see all your units on the network?

5. Member
    I have tried that (unhooking LS) ..and I still do not see anything past that right port on the Top Bow. Meaning the network is Left and Right Console and Top Bow. The Bottom Bow is then not seen by the network (as seen by the other three units) but it works fine independently. (Not on the networkk)

I have hooked the cable from the console to the bow to the Bottom Bow and then to LS and I then see both console units, Bottom Bow and LS on the network. (LS available on all three units) So that tells me the LS box is not the issue.

It seems that the cables themselves all are OK. (swapped enough to test all of them in multiple configurations) I am still stuck on the Top Bow cradle having a bad network port but I am not sure why. Worked fine until yesterday and the boat was on the trailer and in my garage. I was just playing with the units when I all of a sudden noticed the issue. I got the units last year and have not used the boat much and have absolutely not been hard on the equipment. In this case it "failed on the trailer" between Friday night when it worked and Sunday afternoon when I went to play with the units.

Guess I will order a cradle and see if swapping it fixes my problem.

Thanks for the input and advice. Always appreciate the help I get on BBC.

6. Member
    Just saw this thread and had a thought. If I were you, I would remove my MFD from the cradle, spray some contact cleaner into the pins and receiver port and reseat this connection. I realize other functions with the unit are ok but perhaps your network connection is being affected by oxidation or a bit of dirt on just the right part of this connection. Also, I just stated to someone else how easy it is to not fully seat the MFD to the cradle. I imagine this could also cause a specific loss of function. There is a tab on the top that needs to snap into place. Mine was working but flew out of the cradle at high speed.

7. Member
    I did not try contact cleaner but did try compressed air in the can. Did not work. Units all seated properly and even swapped them around when I swapped cables around. Everything centered around that one port on that cradle.

The nice Amazon girl brought me a new cradle this evening and all is as it was and is good to go.

Guess I have a spare cradle now to mess with units off the boat. Just have to get a power cord.

Thanks to everyone that offered suggestions.

8. Member
    So the new cradle fixed your problem?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DR. DROP View Post
    So the new cradle fixed your problem?
    It did.

10. Member
    My buddy had his cradle fail after traveling in a heavy rainstorm. Garmin sent him a new cradle.

11. Member
    Thanks. I’ll contact them.