Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

1st time to Champlain.

Hey guys I will get up there for my first time ever May 15th-20th. I know it is a little ways out but how does the fishing look for then. I was suppose to go last year but the rona got in the way.

I will be staying in south hero. I am up to any info. Baits, places, things to look for or try. I have never targeted smallmouth, so a new animal to me. I have been told jerkbaits will be great. Got tons of those.

Thanks guys.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

2. Member
    Should be bass everywhere. Jerkbait a great start. Hopefully the wind won't be a factor. Bring some good sunglasses. You'll see more bass than you've ever caught in your life.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alumicraft145 View Post
    Should be bass everywhere. Jerkbait a great start. Hopefully the wind won't be a factor. Bring some good sunglasses. You'll see more bass than you've ever caught in your life.
    Wow!!! I have heard stories but seems a little hard to belive. Have only fished a couple times where you can see 2' down.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

4. Member
    Come on guys give me a little help. Don't need secret spots or secret baits just general ideas on baits and places. Not looking for a 7lber. A couple 3lbers and I will be good.

By they way I will be there for 5 days.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

5. Member
    Dude....it's champlain. There's literally a bass on every dock,point, rock, and weed bed in the lake. Fish wherever the wind allows you to and you'll have a great time

I'll be up there as well....I cannot wait!
    Tons of Jerkbait fish and Keitech fish.

Where you staying?
    Boatless

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nojretlas View Post
    I'll be up there as well....I cannot wait!
    Tons of Jerkbait fish and Keitech fish.

Where you staying?
    We will be staying at The Anchorage in south hero. We will be there from May 15-20th. Where are you staying?
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

10 of us are getting house in N. Hero. 15th-22nd
    Boatless

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nojretlas View Post
    10 of us are getting house in N. Hero. 15th-22nd
    So how far by boat from north hero to south hero? Is it your first time?
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by JINXBASS View Post
    So how far by boat from north hero to south hero? Is it your first time?
    15 miles or so, more LM fishing down there, better smallie fishing is up north.
    I was there in October which completely SUCKED, worst fishing trip of my life! There was NO water in the lake, maybe 2 ramps we could use, wind was terrible and water was VERY rough. Broke the skeg on my brand new boat. Never doing that again.

Buy this...

https://www.fishinghotspots.com/e1/p...?idproduct=484
    Boatless

11. Member
    Dave who owns The Anchorage is my buddy from where I’m from in WMass. He guides now and may share some areas with you. Definitely standard pre spawn gear like jerkbaits, Ned rig, spinnerbaits, hula grubs, swim baits and ect. You might see some fish start moving up to get on beds if there is a warming trend or if the moon lines up. Standard bed gear if that happens. As mentioned above, there are fish everywhere and you should decide where to launch based upon wind forecast. Hot Maps is your friend to figure that out and where to fish that day. I may be up there too if my new boat comes in on time.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sofakingbigbass View Post
    Dave who owns The Anchorage is my buddy from where I’m from in WMass. He guides now and may share some areas with you. Definitely standard pre spawn gear like jerkbaits, Ned rig, spinnerbaits, hula grubs, swim baits and ect. You might see some fish start moving up to get on beds if there is a warming trend or if the moon lines up. Standard bed gear if that happens. As mentioned above, there are fish everywhere and you should decide where to launch based upon wind forecast. Hot Maps is your friend to figure that out and where to fish that day. I may be up there too if my new boat comes in on time.
    Great information.. thx

I definitely want to target smallmouth. How far north do I need to go?
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

13. Member
    The big water will still be COLD. Be prepared for cold air and cold water. Goretex, fleece, a change of clothes in the boat. I've been there the 1st week of June and coves have been 60 and the main lake 45. The smallies on points and rocks will be fun but some back waters with huge pike and bowfin will be a nice few hours also.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kjenckes View Post
    The big water will still be COLD. Be prepared for cold air and cold water. Goretex, fleece, a change of clothes in the boat. I've been there the 1st week of June and coves have been 60 and the main lake 45. The smallies on points and rocks will be fun but some back waters with huge pike and bowfin will be a nice few hours also.
    10-4 gotcha.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

15. Tony C
    You are staying right in a nice area. Keeler bay is right around the corner from you and you can also go under and through the sand bar area into mallets bay. Some of the best fishing. It’s a big lake to go running all over unless you got tons of time. Savage island is right out in front of where your staying, just alittle north. It’s also great fishing. The ned rig in Canadian craw works great this time of year. Tube bait on 1/4 oz rigs work well too. Black or brown/crawdad color.

Lake level is safe, but lack of rain will impact summer fishing if we don’t get much needed rain.
    Ranger Z21/Yamaha HPDI 250

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonyc View Post
    You are staying right in a nice area. Keeler bay is right around the corner from you and you can also go under and through the sand bar area into mallets bay. Some of the best fishing. It’s a big lake to go running all over unless you got tons of time. Savage island is right out in front of where your staying, just alittle north. It’s also great fishing. The ned rig in Canadian craw works great this time of year. Tube bait on 1/4 oz rigs work well too. Black or brown/crawdad color.

Lake level is safe, but lack of rain will impact summer fishing if we don’t get much needed rain.
    Thanks!!! That was some information I was looking for. Just some general places to try. I picked up some neds last week an 1 color I got was Canadian craw. So hopefully my instincts are good. I am so looking forward to this.

Thanks again
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

17. Member
    is the lake full enough right now to make it through the sand bar? It was weird seeing it in the fall with people driving out there on ATVs to set up duck blinds with no water.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyc View Post

18. Tony C
    Last checked it was ok to pass through.
    Ranger Z21/Yamaha HPDI 250

19. Member
    You can figure out whatever technique you are comfortable with. Start out a bit deep, 12-15 ft and as the day progress s, move shallow. Lake can get rough in a hurry. Also make sure you have correct licenses. Have a great time! When your up there, I'll be on the Hudson for stripers and catfish!!
    Last edited by Alumicraft145; 04-17-2021 at 04:19 AM.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

20. Member
    Ok I got a question. Most people say shallow jerkbaits. How come no one uses deep jerkbaits? Just curious question.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast