Thread: Pedestal stuck

Pedestal stuck

Has anyone had their chair pedestal become stuck? I've tried several ideas to free the pedestal up with no luck. Suggestions welcome. It's on a 98' 223 Champion. Thanks!

2. Banned
    pb blaster and patience got my front one out...the rear one was toasted already from a pipe wrench removal some point before I got it.

3. Member
    I also had to use a pipe wrench (1998 186) Ended up installing 3/4” inserts & got new pedestals. Definitely an issue with some older champs.

4. Member
    Be assured you are not the first with this problem. To eliminate the first PIA. If you have the black button at the bottom of the pedestal that needs to be compressed to get the seat out. Take a screw driver and push the button in far enough so you can slide it to the side behind the pedestal wall so it can not pop back out. If needed, put some type of wedge in the hole to hold the button to the side. Now, your on your own.... You will get plenty of advice, and will probably take a little bit of all of the advice before they come out.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....pedistal+stuck
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

I just had to pull the pedistool base out of my 202, it was beyond getting the post out, replaced it with a new 1.77 base.
    The base was in pretty bad shape after 25 years so it was good timing. The boat was getting re-carpeted anyway.

6. Okchamp210
    Seafoam break free paired with a Big A$$ pipe wrench

7. Member
    Why you replacing it?

8. Member
    Why am I replacing it? The seat no longer goes up and down for the long legged folk that fish out of the back. 50 mile trip up Lake Powell to fish. We sleep on the boat and the pedestal is in the way otherwise I wouldn't careless. Tried the pipe wrench last week. I suppose it's going to take a cheater pipe. I should have tinkered with it when I replaced the carpet. The front pedestal is not issue. Thanks for everyone's input.

9. Member
    2 people helps, 1 pulling up on the seat while other twist post with pipe wrench. My brothers was so bad we had to put down a piece of wood and use large pry bar between the wood and the pipe wrench to add more upward force there also to get it out. oh yeah and lots of seafoam lube.
    2020 Ranger 521L, Merc 250 Pro XS

10. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 190SCR View Post
    pb blaster and patience got my front one out...the rear one was toasted already from a pipe wrench removal some point before I got it.
    I agree with this one. Some type of penetrating oil on the pedestal to keep it away from the carpet. I use a strap wrench I got at Lowes. Kobalt makes one as does Craftsman. You want the biggest they have. Let the oil soak a bit the get the strap wrench on. Best to have a buddy to apply some outward lift on the seat as you're turning. Once you get it going, it WILL come out. I then use a DeWalt 2" flap sander in 80 grit to releave the base some. Don't get too aggressive, you can over do it. Don't ask how I know. Then I use a 180 grit to smooth it up.

stuck seats in my 203 2000.... (bbcboards.net) post#9
    2001 196 Pedestal questions (bbcboards.net) poat #6
    Seat pedestal stuck. (bbcboards.net) post #5

11. Member
    Just bought a different Champ with totally different bases and pedestals. I do have the black button on the bottom and don't have an issue with them getting stuck. However, I don't want it to become an issue either. I never leave them in long term, but is there a lubricant that is recommended to help prevent an issue from happening?

Vaseline? clean, safe. I was wondering the same thing and this is what I came up with as an idea. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by bass-o-maticjm View Post
    Just bought a different Champ with totally different bases and pedestals. I do have the black button on the bottom and don't have an issue with them getting stuck. However, I don't want it to become an issue either. I never leave them in long term, but is there a lubricant that is recommended to help prevent an issue from happening?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass-o-maticjm View Post
    No lubricant recommended for the pedestals. Any type of wet grease will only attract dirt and grit. Make the issue worse, and more than likely stain the carpet.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

14. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Just remove pedestals when you come off water. Mine have never gotten stuck because I don’t leave them in. Ed has a good point about grit, etc.

15. Member
    Two hydraulic floor jacks with wood blocks placed under seat and lift simultaneously. If you have the tab on bottom then zip tie that. Done.

16. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kondan View Post
    Two hydraulic floor jacks with wood blocks placed under seat and lift simultaneously. If you have the tab on bottom then zip tie that. Done.
    You're liable to break the clip tha holds the gas strut in the pedestal. I was able to do that with out a jack.

17. Member
    When I bought my 98 champ 203 both seats hadn't been removed in years the owner said. Front poped out easily but the rear was stuck. I used the bottle jack trick and tapped the pole with a hammer till it vibrated itself loose with the jack pressure. I havent used them since. I stand up anyways..lol

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    You're liable to break the clip tha holds the gas strut in the pedestal. I was able to do that with out a jack.
    Yep... in my 203 the rear seat is a nightmare. As you are sanding the pedestal base down to make it fit better in the future, make sure to continuously check fit in BOTH the front and rear deck mount. Mine were not exactly the same and I had to find a happy medium.