Lew's reel not working right.

I have one of my older Lews Tournament Pros that I use on a crankbait rod that if I slap the water to get weeds off will sometimes allow the reel handle to spin backwards. It doesn't seem to do it when I cast and reel but I am afraid it might. Should I be looking at replacing the anti-reverse bearing or go another direction?

2. Member
    Try cleaning it first. If that all fails then replace it.

3. Member
    I wouldn't get rid of a reel just because it has a problem. Take it to someone and find out how much it will cost to get it fixed - if it's too much then replace it.

4. Member
    I’m not an expert by any means but to me it’s one of two things.

1. the anti reverse bearing is shot and/or
    2. the anti reverse clutch is slipping.

reels are very easy to take apart and clean. With it acting up already it doesn’t hurt to strip it down, clean the reel and see if it helps.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

5. Member
    Thanks for the help. I had no consideration in getting rid of it as it casts further than any of my other reels, just needed verification on what I was thinking was wrong with it. I like working on my own stuff as there is a satisfaction from figuring out what is wrong and correcting it. Actually broken them down this winter and cleaned and lubed all of my reels. Learned a lot.

6. Member
    One of my bb1s was doing that a good cleaning of the anti reverse bearing and it’s as good as new.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

As said above, you can clean the A/R bearing (likely pressed into the handle side "frame") or just replace it. I've had issues with one malfunctioning pretty quickly after a malfunction led to me cleaning it in the first place and they're cheap enough anyway that I've just replaced the few that I've had go bad.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

8. Member
    So I went ahead and ordered a couple of bearings to replace and have a spare. Is there a way to tell which way to put one in without assembling the whole handle and hope it spins the right way? Cleaned them before and paid attention to how they came out but won't have that with the new one. Thanks.

9. Member
    You have a PM

10. Banned
    Ive cleaned them off before, and a light coat of oil does the trick. Ive also had to replace them due to that not resolving it either. So, clean it first and recheck the operation. Great reel by the way.