Shimano Scorpion Baitcaster

Who has used a "Scorpion" and do you think it is any better than a domestic model reel. I need one like a hole in my head, but am attracted to the idea of a special Japanese market reel just to have something different. Is it worth the effort or a waste of money?

2. Member
    The Scorpion DC is far superior to the domestic Curado, in my opinion. I have both.
    Phoenix 21PHX 250 SHO, Lowrance Carbons & Ghost & Active Target

3. Member
    I don't tinker with my reels so can't answer that. I have read that the Japanese versions are usually a little better. Worth it? Don't know, but I like trying different gear and enjoy it all so it is worth it to me.

I have at least half-dozen of the old Scorpion 1000. Those had significant advantages over the curado 100b equivalent. Light wiffle spool, external adjustable centrifugal brakes, etc.
    I have some Scorpion 70s, and dont see much difference from the Curado 70s. I've had a Scorpion 1000xt and a Scorpion 1500 as well. Also have a Scorpion 150MGL, which has the MGL spool over the Curado K. Up to you whether it's worth it. The Scorpions have always seemed to be a little smooth, little more refined than US version. Feature-wise, the Scorpions havent had a significant advantage since the B-series.

5. Member
    I always think having something different is worth it. As things become more globalized I think the differences are trending to be less and less. Depending on which scorpion you are referring to the changes can be a bit different. The jdm reels usually have softer grease and lighter oils making them more effortless to turn. The Japanese folks generally use lighter lines and drags which allows for the lighter lubrication but if you are a heavy braid, locked down drag kind of angler then you will want to add some heavier grease.

Other differences:

Back with the e series compared to the curado, besides the improved cosmetic details, the 1000/1001 xt scorpions had the better black bearings from the core, more bearings, no anti reverse pawl, different handle with smaller knobs. I also heard they had different gear material making them feel smoother as well. I can confirm the scorpion 1000xt was a step up over the curado 50e in feel and performance.

Comparing the curado 70 to the scorpion 70 there were less differences, besides cosmetics and different grease and the scorpion had 2 more bearings (one in each handle knob) by what I could see but my scorpions still felt smoother on average than my curados. The new curado 70 mgl would be an improvement over the scorpion 70 in performance. I hope they release a scorpion 70 mgl soon with all the upgrades.

The k series (haven't had either as I prefer smaller reels) main difference other than the cosmetic stuff is the shallower MGL spool in the scorpion while the curado k doesn't have it and the scorpion has one more bearing. I also think the US version has a larger handle and knob size.

I'll defer to someone else with the DC reels as I've only had the 17 scorpion DC based off the curado I frame.

Cost wise I can usually find the scorpions to be within $20 of the curado so I usually opt for the scorpion just to have that something different.

Considering the minor price difference, I'd go with the Scorpion over the Curado every time. Main reason I say that is better bearings from the factory, bearings in the handle knobs, and I like the appearance better. I've had both for a while now and the Scorpion is easily the favorite in my line up. Link in my sig has a short write up on it that I did.

7. Member
    Thanks for the great feedback guys.