Ox66 lower unit questions

Hey y’all,
    bad news. I found some milky gear oil today. Had the lower unit checked out and pressure tested last year when I first bought the boat (98 zx202c w/ 3.1l vmax). I was under the impression that the shop was going to order a complete seal kit and do everything but after getting off the phone with them today, turns out they only did drive shaft seals for sure and possibly water pump seals. Anyways, I took the prop off and found a couple yards of what seems to be 65lb braid wrapped around prop shaft. I’m assuming that’s where my problem is (little bit of gear oil down in the housing thing). I’ve been doing research all day after getting a couple prop shaft seals and when it comes to the prop shaft and bearing carrier assembly deal, it seems like there are also some o rings inside of there somewhere for the prop shaft.

1. if I had bad prop shaft seals from the wrapped line, wouldn’t I be able to see new gear oil seeping from that outer seal and all over the prop shaft?

2. If those o rings failed, what would happen? Would I also see gear oil puddles in the bottom of that prop shaft housing?

sounds like I’m gonna be able to change the prop shaft seals without pulling the shaft and bearing carrier thingy but I’m getting worried that i could possibly be leaking from somewhere other than the prop shaft seals and will just be wasting my time and gear oil. I am definitely a rookie boat mechanic and I promise I’ve tried to do some serious research so you’re patience with me is greatly appreciated haha. Any info or input I would def be grateful for. Thanks!

2. Member
    Do a pressure test first. Need to be sure that’s the only leak.

3. Member
    Ok. I’ll change the seals and then should be able to build some sort of hose/gauge contraption to screw into the oil fill. What psi should I pressurize it with? Wanna say I read 10psi somewhere, does that sound right?

4. Member
    Thought mine was tested at 15

5. Member
    My 2003 VZ225 HPDI service manual calls for 14 PSI. If yours is like mine, when installing the shaft seals, both seals face the water.
    D-Dubya

2003 Skeeter ZX225
    Yamaha VZ225HPDI
    Humminbird 898c SI
    Hummingbird 858c DI