Hot foot idle stop setting

Hey all,

Had a question. I know I'm supposed to set the idle stop as far back as I can. Do you guys keep the locking nut on the same side of the screw? Or screw head as a stopper locking nut behind. Or just don't use any of it at all?

This is for a 200 Pro XS V8 4 stroke. Motor is still in production I don't have a serial number yet.

Also, for the fuel harness, am I correct in thinking that the old fuel lead to the old gauge is irrelevant and I need to tape off all of that? The new fuel harness ground goes to the sender ground and the new fuel harness power goes to the sender power (white or pink). The old fuel harness should not touch the sender in any way and needs to be electric taped off?

I still have my bolt and nut in the original position but it’s in as tight as it goes, I get 100% but that’s the full extent of the pedal, we actually took out a tiny bit of metal where the roller runs to lengthen that slot a little
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by th365thli View Post
    Hey all,

Had a question. I know I'm supposed to set the idle stop as far back as I can. Do you guys keep the locking nut on the same side of the screw? Or screw head as a stopper locking nut behind. Or just don't use any of it at all?
    Depends on which hotfoot you have, and how far back the spring will consistently return it (with cable DISCONNECTED from engine). THE STOP SCREW MUST BE PRESENT AS THE MECHANICAL STOP, HOWEVER!

Quote Originally Posted by th365thli

Also, for the fuel harness, am I correct in thinking that the old fuel lead to the old gauge is irrelevant and I need to tape off all of that? The new fuel harness ground goes to the sender ground and the new fuel harness power goes to the sender power (white or pink). The old fuel harness should not touch the sender in any way and needs to be electric taped off?
    PAY CLOSE ATTENTION HERE:

YOU DO NOT HOOK ANY POWER OR GROUND TO THE FUEL HARNESS AT ANY POINT, FOR ANY REASON OR PURPOSE. NEVER, EVER MIX ANY GROUNDS FROM THIS HARNESS WITH ANY OTHER GROUND!!!!!! Doing so will cause damage to the Engine PCM!

The ONLY wire you will need in that harness is the Tank-1 wire (PINK WITH BLACK STRIPE). Disconnect the original sender wire (PINK) from the tank sending unit, tape and tie it back so it cannot possibly reconnect itself.

Then INSTALL the Tank-1 (Pink with Black-stripe) wire on the sender just like the one you disconnected.
    This is the only connection you need to make.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Depends on which hotfoot you have, and how far back the spring will consistently return it (with cable DISCONNECTED from engine). THE STOP SCREW MUST BE PRESENT AS THE MECHANICAL STOP, HOWEVER!

YOU DO NOT HOOK ANY POWER OR GROUND TO THE FUEL HARNESS AT ANY POINT, FOR ANY REASON OR PURPOSE. NEVER, EVER MIX ANY GROUNDS FROM THIS HARNESS WITH ANY OTHER GROUND!!!!!! Doing so will cause damage to the Engine PCM!

The ONLY wire you will need in that harness is the Tank-1 wire (PINK WITH BLACK STRIPE). Disconnect the original sender wire (PINK) from the tank sending unit, tape and tie it back so it cannot possibly reconnect itself.

Then INSTALL the Tank-1 (Pink with Black-stripe) wire on the sender just like the one you disconnected.
    PHEW, message well received Don. I hadn't even opened the fuel harness package yet but I'm glad I asked!

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good deal. Hopefully that's clear enough to keep you on the right track.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Good deal. Hopefully that's clear enough to keep you on the right track.
    So in that case do I tape off the ground wire from the sender as well? So both wires from the tank sending unit need to be taped off?

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    NO. Follow the precise directions shown earlier:

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM

You do not make any alterations to any other wires, and you do not connect or disconnect any other wires (except as shown above).