Power Pole pump location rant on 2018 Ranger Z520C

Just a rant more than anything, but man could Ranger have placed these pumps in a harder spot to service!! My starboard HPU unit needs a new control board. I have removed the splash well cover that gets me partial access to the HPU but to fully lift the cover and extract the circuit board I will have to remove my starting battery, battery charger as well as the panel the charger is mounted on! Man what a goat rope! I tried to remove the circuit board w/o removing the battery and charger, but the cover will not lift up enough w/o removing charger and board charger is. mounted to!

The port HPU can be readily accessed with just removing the splash well cover, but not the starboard side.

2. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    limited room in those boats agree doesnt make servicing easy. not alot of choice however

3. mikesxpress
    We all have to do the same thing. On most Ranger's two PP pumps and the jack plate pump are placed on that transom shelf and are best serviced from inside the service well. The splashwell cover access is limited in what you can actually access.

4. Member
    I don't carry a spare prop.....so I mounted mine here. The starboard they are mounted on is fixed with removable knobs and the pump hoses and wires are long enough to allow me to move it onto the back deck and get to the bilge.

5. Member
    Your setup looks fantastic! I am not running lithium batteries and my #3 trolling motor battery and charger sit right where you have your HPUs. I guess that’s another reason to look at LiIon batteries!

The pumps are mounted on a nylon plate arent they? Just unbolt the plated and move the pumps over
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

7. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MSranger View Post
    I guess that’s another reason to look at LiIon batteries!
    here if you need us

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MSranger View Post
    Your setup looks fantastic! I am not running lithium batteries and my #3 trolling motor battery and charger sit right where you have your HPUs. I guess that’s another reason to look at LiIon batteries!
    Thanks. I spent a couple weeks in “ dry dock” replumbing the livewells and bilge and rewriting the and cleaning up the mess of cables I had. Part of that was new batteries. I’m happy with the way it turned out. The PP pumps on the piece of starboard have worked out well

9. Member
    As a follow up, I removed the splash well cover as well as the center placed Type 31 battery, then the charger, then the panel to which the charger was mounted. After doing all of this the HPUs were easily accessed and repaired. While it was a pain to remove everything to access the HPU, it was not difficult just tedious.
    I would recommend removing the battery, charger and divider to any needing to access the HPUs.

Robert