1997 Nitro 700 LX w/ Force 120 HP

I am looking at buying a 1997 Nitro from a coworker. This boat is is very good condition and almost looks new. The boat hasn't been on water for approximately 3 years, but I believe at that time was winterized.
    Nada says it is worth between $5000 and $5500 (maybe less, I don't know how to use nada for boats) and assume that is if it is running.
    He says it needs batteries and tires and whatever else to get it running (hoping a carb kit, plugs and a lower unit oil change).
    He mentioned $3500 for it but said we can talk about price. Is $3500 already a good price or should I offer less because I don't know what I am ight get into with the motor.

Anything I should be concerned about with the motor that is on it. He said it ran great, just hasn't had time to run it since he moved.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by G-Rod; 04-10-2021 at 04:10 PM.

2. Member
    Sounds like a good deal. The Force motors don’t have oil injection (you premix the oil when you add fuel), lot of people didn’t like this but it’s not bad. Good Luck. You could do a compression check if you wanted to be sure there’s no hidden issues.
    Rad Brewer

3. Member
    Thanks. I do trust this guy and do see him. I think it is a decent deal and can do most of the work myself.

I had this exact boat and sold it for $4500 in 2018...

Here's what I would check:

1) Compression check is #1, I had my compression around 160's in every cylinder; thing ran like a top every trip and only hesitated when it was below 40* but you learn how to choke and give it gas when starting in colder days
    2) Flush the fuel / oil before use...put fresh gas and use the synthetic 2 stroke oil from Quicksilver
    3) Gauges...check to ensure all the gauges work as they can get expensive to replace
    4) Look in the bilge area and test the pumps...replacing them could get difficult
    5) Check the rub rail screws...had to tighten a few down in my past
    6) Change the spark plugs, impeller, and de-carbon the motor before heavy use

Doing this will keep that boat fresh and running a long time.
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

5. Member
    Thanks for the tips avidbasser. I plan to go look at it this weekend.