Thread: Desoto Bend?

Desoto Bend?

I know it’s not open to fishing until later this month, but has anyone put their boat on it in the last few years since the flood and all the Asian carp got in there? I know the bass population is low, but I always thought it was a neat area. Just wondering if the carp are so bad that any motor noise means I’ll have a bunch of slimy, bloody carp jumping into the boat. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

2. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    i heard that last year at a tourney there you had to have a helmet on
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

3. Member
    Thanks! That is what I was afraid of, unfortunately...

4. Member
    Wow is there that many carp in there?

5. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

I used to fish it at least once a week. They don’t want fisherman there, they want bird watchers. The two south ramps were perfect, lots of parking. Sooo—- they remove the ramps, and make you use the center ramp, parking sucked. Then the flood and the Asian carp. Had a woman tell me a few years ago her husband was knocked off the front deck while standing on the trolling motor by carp. I haven’t fished it in at least 10years.

7. Member
    I know it’s not right but I’ve seen stuff like that on the Discovery channel and all I can think about is man it would be fun to take a shotgun and try and take a few out Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Redog View Post
    I know it’s not right but I’ve seen stuff like that on the Discovery channel and all I can think about is man it would be fun to take a shotgun and try and take a few out Lol.
    might be fun in a different place Desota Is federal. I have heard guys with violations have to appear in court in Des Moines. The “ wardens” @Desota are employees of Dept of Interior employees.

Desota Bends—— in the 50’s the Manawa Ski club also skied on the River. One of places on the river we used a lot was was California Bends. One of the members could see some back water off the side of the river. Trimming his outboard up and making a run he glided over the small area of sand that separated the two. The club was skiing on Desota Bend before it was ever developed. A few years later ( around 58’-59’) they started developing the area with roads and made it a refuge. We were still skiing on it in 1975, that was the last year I skied on it.