Top Water in less than 1ft visibility?

Going to visit my brother 1st week of June in Michigan. He lives on a private shallow lake that's about 600 acre and unlike 99% of Michigan lakes the visibility is probably less than 1 foot. In certain areas there are an abundance of lily pads, but the rest of the lake is mostly clay and weed less. There are some rock piles and rocky points to fish and that is about it besides docks. There are some really good size large and smallmouth (3-5lbs) in the lake but doesn't seem to be a whole lot of numbers.
    We have fished frogs in the pads but only pick off 1 or 2 in a few days of fishing and never see much activity in the pads. We do good on square bills, spinnerbaits, chatter baits and worms.
    So my question is at water level of water clarity do you NOT fish top water?

Any suggestions?

No limit for me, use black rather than white, it will silloette easier. Having rattles or a bell inside a frog would help. Or maybe a popping frog
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. Member
    I fish a lake that is dirty all the time. Whopper plopper, double prop buzz bait, and spook are the best but there is not a topwater made that I haven’t caught them on there. Early morning bite usually.

The best advice I can give, hard as it has been to listen to my own advice over the years, is not to let the water color get in your head on these northern lakes. Fish in these lakes don't have anywhere else to go searching out different conditions like they might on a large reservoir, so they have to figure it out. The biggest difference is the weedline will be shallower in that lake versus others and the fish will be shallower as a result. Past that, fish it like you'd fish any other lake in the region.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

5. Member
    Black buzzbait
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

6. Member
    The weeds are very very limited. I got a few buzz and woppers I am going to try this year. Shall see what happens.

So in muddy water or at night a steady or predictable retrieve is going to help. Like a whopper plopper slow and steady will probably outdo a walking bait.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Stained to clear, I’ll use Sammy’s. Heavy stained to muddy it’s buzzbaits.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

9. Member
    I fished the same type of lake yesterday and clobbered many species of fish using small soft plastics rigged on light ball head jigs. In fact skirted jigs & trailers work best for bass in most waters I fish for bass. As far as near surface, I caught fish on a suspending minnow plug worked slowly. Haven't used the plastic swimbait this year but will once the pads are established.