Thread: Stuck Pedestal

Stuck Pedestal

I have a Springfield Pedestal stuck in the front deck position on my cobra 190 i have beat on it, wrenched on it and put my floor jack under it and it won't budge...

Any ideas????
    Not all churches have pews? Very few churches without pews have God.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
    I have a Springfield Pedestal stuck in the front deck position on my cobra 190 i have beat on it, wrenched on it and put my floor jack under it and it won't budge...

Any ideas????
    I am sure you pushed in the release button like mine has prior to doing all the other stuff. My stearn one was kinda stuck, but I sprayed it with WD40, which I was able to release it with a very large set of channel locks that I have. It got some teeth marks, but came out. I cleaned the hole really good, and sanded down the pedestal base very smooth.
    All good now.

I used a big pipe wrench on mine. I wrapped the teeth with some masking tape first so I didn't damage the pedestal too much.

Tom

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post

Any ideas????
    Both the front and back pedestals stick on my 201D Cobra to the point that they were nearly impossible to get out even using large plumbing wrenches. I blistered both my palms so bad one day at the ramp I felt like tossing the seats back in the water. I finally widened the opening in the floor receptacle using a large half-round file. Use small strokes with moderately light pressure and keep moving around the circumference to keep the hole round. I stuck a shop vac in the hole every minute or so to get the sanding particles out of there. Test the fit by inserting the pedestal every so often as you don't want to go too big. Also like digthemup said, make sure your pedestals are buttery smooth- if not file/sand them. Now I can easily remove both pedestal seats just like when they were new.
    Last edited by mac18; 04-12-2021 at 10:26 PM.

5. Member
    Mine were stuck when I bought my Corral last year and had to use a high lift jack and lifting strap to remove. I found a round emory type flap disc sanding wheel that fit on a drill and worked them over. They are now snug but pull easy too.
    1997 Viper Coral 202
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

Remington gun oil with Teflon is your friend once you get them out, clean all surfaces really well first. If it happens again, get a cylinder honing attachment and very carefully run a drill on low speed to evenly take of some material inside the cups.

7. Member
    Do you think applying the oil could make the inside of the cups eventually swell? I tried lubricating many years ago with white teflon grease and at first it helped but eventually the problem got really bad and I have been wondering if any swelling took place

8. Member
    Mine stick horribly. A strap wrench and jack is how I got mine out ans now they won't go back in more than a 1/2".
    I'm thinking of using a small engine cylinder hone to open them up some.
    Cody Greenwell
    GPS/SONAR/SIDE IMAGING
    Setup Advice & On-the-Water Training

9. Member
    thanks guys... I'll give some of these a try
    Not all churches have pews? Very few churches without pews have God.

10. Member
    I had to cut mine out. Tried everything but eventually went to a sawzall and cut the damn thing out. Sanded the cup and bought a new power pedestal. I don’t lube mine with anything petroleum based, use silicon spray instead.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431