Banned

2005 150hp merc xr6------no acceleration

Two weeks ago I returned from 3 months in Florida where my motor ran fine. Had a nice spring day today so I went to the lake for a couple hours of fishing. Small lake, maybe 2 miles long, so I didn't run a lot but I buzzed around to a couple of spots with seemingly no issues. As I started to head back to the ramp from my last fishing spot I put the motor in gear and pushed the throttle forward to get up on plane and the engine wouldn't do more than headway speed. I continued on messing with the throttle back and forth and nothing changed. I was about a mile from the ramp so I thought I'd just putt-putt back. I noticed that there was zero water stream being produced by the water pump. Not a dribble, drip, steam, nada, nothing.
    Now I'm hoping you guys will tell me that there is a failsafe mechanism in the xr6 that wont allow acceleration if there is insufficient cooling taking place. By the way, once I realized there was no telltale flow I shut the motor off and limped in on the trolling motor so I didn't cause any additional harm.
    I'll get with my mechanic in the morning but I'll sleep better if someone can confirm what I just stated about the "failsafe" I hope was the cause for no acceleration.
    Thank you in advance.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

No such failsafe... other than a warning horn and your hand turning off the key.

Start with the basics: Visual Inspection for linkages loose/broken, wiring, fuel leaks, etc.

Compression test.

Spark Test.

Fuel Quality and Delivery Checks.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor