Question Main breaker in back

I was browsing today and watched a Ross Motorsports video about the control panel on the premium models. Mine is a 2016 Puma, so not quite to the level of the 2021 Cougar they were doing the demo on, but he mentioned to be sure to flip the main power breaker on in the back, at the cranking battery, and then turn the power switch, at the shift lever, on. I always turn the power switch off (at the shift lever) when not using the boat, but never do I flip the breaker off at the cranking battery. Is this something I should be doing? No issues since I bought the boat new 4.5 years ago, but just wondering...

2. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    I usually turn the main switch back by the batteries off, when I know I'm not going to be using the boat for an extended time period. (Usually when I'm done for the winter) My boat usually sits for 3 months or so. Otherwise, I just turn off the master power switch in the cockpit. Where you live, I'd likely never use the switch by the batteries. I don't know if that's what one is supposed to do, but I've done that since I got my boat in 2016.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

It prevents a parasitic milliamperes drain on the batteries.

I flip it off at the battery after every trip. Cheap insurance IMO.

5. Member
    I've got 5 kids. They don't know that Dad has a secret power switch in the bilge that kills all the buttons they love messing with... and I intend on keeping it that way

Other than that, I have my Talons wired into that breaker. I'm always paranoid that something is going to cause a spike to go down while I'm driving, so I kill that breaker switch before I leave the lake. Like someone mentioned, it's cheap insurance for everything.

I have my own circuit wired in with heavy wire for my electronics with a fuse block and all that, so it also kills my Livescope box and my Humminbird ethernet switch, neither of which have on and off switches of their own like a depth finder.
    Last edited by redxdu; 04-12-2021 at 01:07 PM.

6. Member
    BCB.. This does not apply to older models does it? I am not aware of a main disconnect point in the bilge anywhere in my 2007 Puma.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat29 View Post
    BCB.. This does not apply to older models does it? I am not aware of a main disconnect point in the bilge anywhere in my 2007 Puma.
    Mine is a 2011 and it has a breaker, I'd be willing yours does too. It might just he hard to find. If you don't you can get one from BCB at the link below. I have basically everything except for my big motor wires connected to that breaker so everything goes dead when I flip it off.

https://basscatstore.com/8amppushbuttonbreaker-1.aspx

You should always have one of these for simply protecting your boat from fire in case of a wire shorting out down stream somewhere.

Like hitting the key fob in your pocket while driving down the road...

it happens,

Quote Originally Posted by redxdu View Post
    I've got 5 kids. They don't know that Dad has a secret power switch in the bilge that kills all the buttons they love messing with... and I intend on keeping it that way

Other than that, I have my Talons wired into that breaker. I'm always paranoid that something is going to cause a spike to go down while I'm driving, so I kill that breaker switch before I leave the lake. Like someone mentioned, it's cheap insurance for everything.

I have my own circuit wired in with heavy wire for my electronics with a fuse block and all that, so it also kills my Livescope box and my Humminbird ethernet switch, neither of which have on and off switches of their own like a depth finder.

9. Member
    Besides the main breaker/switch that the factory installed, I have two other cut offs (one for Talon, one for troller). All three get switched off before I leave the ramp after loading.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

I turn mine off, and my trolling motor breaker as well.
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie View Post
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by Louie View Post
    #metoo

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

13. Member
    What is a trolling motor breaker?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
    What is a trolling motor breaker?
    BCB typically installs an inline 50 amp breaker for the troller at the factory. Most replace with a 60 amp breaker/shut off combo switch so that while charging, unplugging is not necessary. Many of the newer trollers call for a 60 amp breaker. Because I rarely run at high speed for extended periods of time, I don't trip the factory 50 amp breaker, so I just added a shut off in front of that breaker. Here is a typical breaker/shut off combo switch than many use.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/714...face_Mount_60A
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

15. Member
    If my '15 Margay has that, I have not located it. I do have the main one on the crank battery.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    #metoo
    #Me3

Quote Originally Posted by redxdu View Post

That is classic kids. They will make you old and keep you young. LOL

I know a guy that dropped his PP at 70 and ground the spike down. PP replaced it for him. Not sure if MK would do the same as I have never dealt with them.
    1988 Basscat Pantera 2 / 1988 Mariner 200 #0B348072 / 1986 Mercury Blackmax 200 #0B116913
    US Navy veteran