Thread: Lund Renegade!

Lund Renegade!

I’ve been watching videos of the Lund Renegade series boats. Does anyone have any experience with these boats? I’ve heard riveted boats are bad, and I’ve also heard that they’re stronger than welded boats. They claim to have a lifetime warranty on the Hull! By the looks, they didn’t put much effort into making any of the storage compartments dry! I’m wondering if they would hold up on shallow stumpy lakes!

2. Member
    I would imagine being a Lund, they would hold up in stump filled lakes, they know how to rivet boats together. However, as you said, I have seen quite a few complain about the wet compartments. As one of the deep V guys said a day or two ago, you would think for that much money, they could build dry compartments.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfish View Post
    I would imagine being a Lund, they would hold up in stump filled lakes, they know how to rivet boats together. However, as you said, I have seen quite a few complain about the wet compartments. As one of the deep V guys said a day or two ago, you would think for that much money, they could build dry compartments.
    Or at least make an attempt at dry compartments. The rear deck
    of my boat, if the dew fell on it, things would be wet. LDS
    Larry D. Scott Retired KY Water patrol/F&W
    www.greatscottshooters.com

2008 TRACKER TV 18 w/150 Mercury 4S
    MK Ultrex 80lb, 102 Garmin Live scope
    and a UHD93SV Garmin on the bow.
    UHD 93SV at the console.

4. Banned
    Riveted boats, especially Lund & Alumacraft, are just about bullet proof when it comes to rivets leaking. They are tanks! I owned 2 new Alumacrafts, and took them on Lake Erie, and NEVER had a drop of water enter the hull! .........now when it comes to dry compartments on the Renegade, I've heard bad things. My Polarkraft has aluminum raised lips around the inside of every compartment.

5. Member
    I have a 20' Lund Alaskan which does not have water tight storage..but , like the Renegades, it has lots of storage. I use water tight storage containers and plastic storage bags for the things that will be harmed by being wet. ...On the other hand, Lund ProV Bass Models have the "Lund Advanced Water Control" system. (Pretty darn good).

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Mac View Post
    I have a 20' Lund Alaskan which does not have water tight storage..but , like the Renegades, it has lots of storage. I use water tight storage containers and plastic storage bags for the things that will be harmed by being wet. ...On the other hand, Lund ProV Bass Models have the "Lund Advanced Water Control" system. (Pretty darn good).
    In the front deck of the XS only. I realize there is no fix for the 2 folding seat boxes, but the other two BIG Boxes w/SMALL lids, no attempt was made to keep them dry. These 2 boxes are a virtual waste because the openings are so small that a dry container to utilize the space wont go through the openings. You would think for the price and as long as Lund has been in business, the engineering of their boats would be at the top of the class. NOT SO. LDS
    Last edited by Great Scott; 04-21-2021 at 10:31 PM.

UHD 93SV at the console.

7. Member
    I have a Renegade 1875. Great boat built proof. Just none of the compartments are waterproof
    2019 Lund Renegade 1875
    Mercury ProXs 115hp FourStroke
    Spitfire s/s x7 19p
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80lb 24v
    Atlas Hydraulic Jp 4" setback
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 9 Dash & Bow

Nothing wrong with rivets. Remember, aircraft are also riveted together!
    As far as waterproof compartments, yeah, good luck with that. I remember looking at a tin rig with my dad one time at a dealer, and even the dealer told him, "if someone claims their aluminum boat brand has dry storage, they're lying."
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

9. Member
    I beg to differ on the waterproof statement.
    I owned a Tracker TV 18 as a used boat.
    The only time it was ever in the rain when
    I owned it, I was pulling it home from the seller.
    I got caught in a frog strangler rain, and every
    compartment was wet except 3 and they were
    designed w/raised lip drop in tubs. Those were
    bone dry. This is the way a lot of boats are made
    today, both glass and aluminum. If a mfg puts
    forth no effort for dry boxes, you know in advance
    what's going to happen.
    I knew before I bought my Lund that the rear deck
    compartment were going to be leakers, Thats the
    reason I have vinyl rather than carpet on the floor.
    Its in both front and rear compartments that way.
    There again, I have no intentions of my boat getting
    wet topside. If it does, it will be beyond my control.
    LDS

UHD 93SV at the console.

10. Banned
    I looked at a renegade. Very nice boat and the layout is decent but no dry storage on a boat these days is a deal breaker for me. I have even spoke with multiple owners of the pro v bass and they complain about wet compartments on those as well

11. Member
    I don't know why all manufacturers get cheap on the compartment waterproofing, but for something like the renegade and most other mod-v boats, some simple Side Bulb Push on Seal would keep most of the water out. You could even order the stuff that goes over the current edge trim on there.

12. Member
    Still won't keep it dry. the corners of the opening's are not sealed. Only way to truly fix it, is seal the corner seams and install a drain hose down to the bilge area. other than that the cooler is the only dry compartmennt

Quote Originally Posted by HenryPF View Post
    I don't know why all manufacturers get cheap on the compartment waterproofing, but for something like the renegade and most other mod-v boats, some simple Side Bulb Push on Seal would keep most of the water out. You could even order the stuff that goes over the current edge trim on there.
    2019 Lund Renegade 1875
    Mercury ProXs 115hp FourStroke
    Spitfire s/s x7 19p
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80lb 24v
    Atlas Hydraulic Jp 4" setback
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 9 Dash & Bow

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlumaPro View Post
    Still won't keep it dry. the corners of the opening's are not sealed. Only way to truly fix it, is seal the corner seams and install a drain hose down to the bilge area. other than that the cooler is the only dry compartmennt
    Doesn't sound like a particularly big project. I've seen videos on you tube of people doing that to new Xpress boats to make the compartments more waterproof. Fitting a new fishfinder or trolling motor is probably a more difficult project, and plenty of people tackle that quite happily. That said, it wouldn't add a huge cost to the boat if Lund did it at the factory.....

14. Member
    My 1875 pro V has been in many downpours for hrs and never got one drop in ANY of the boxes. the rear latch loosened up on one i readjusted it no issues since...
    jerrysroadservice@gmail.com
    2017 Lund Pro V Bass 1875

15. Banned
    Not a fan of the alumin style bass boats especially the ones that are rated for higher hp motors. there are only a handful of true tin bass boat styles and the Lund pro v bass is one of them. The only tin boat I'd sell my ranger glass is for the pro v bass. As for rivets vs welds, just read all the issues with welded boats. Welding these thin hull aluminum boats is pointless, the thin aluminum cant handle the heat from welding and this is why they fail. You don't see weld issues with thicker hull tin boats. Here in Ontario there's an aluminum boat company called Stanley Boats, they build aluminum utility rigs (seen guys fish out if them) for the Great Lakes. These things are tanks, all welded and have very little to no weld issues. I've seen 16 footers all the way to 40 footers carrying excavators and dump trucks. As for water proof storage boxes, if there's no raised lip and water channel they will get wet.

16. Member
    What thickness aluminum do they use on the renegades ?

17. Member
    Both the bottom thickness and the freeboard are 0.100

18. Member
    Amen. Alumapro

19. Member
    Looking for some feedback from some 1875 Renegade owners. 1.) Will the foot pedal on the Ultrex fit in the recess? I have looked at one in person and the recess seems narrow. 2.) Does this package need trailer brakes? 3.) How wet do these boxes get? Standing water? Any other feedback with likes or dislikes appreciated.

Look at the Lund warranty. The Lund warranty only covers the double riveted main seams for life. They do not warranty the single rivets. So not exactly a lifetime warranty as Lund claims. Other companies with “all welded” boats have warranties that cover the transom, hull, interior ribs and exterior welds for life. It’s a fact that all welded boats have a much stronger warranty and the repair costs are not pro-rated like Lund. For how much Lund charges for their boats, you would think the warranty would match. Same with Vexus which is marketed as the best aluminum boat on the market today. Vexus only has a 5 year warranty on internal parts. But because they warranty the external welds for life Vexus markets a lifetime warranty...just like Lund’s double rivers.