Skeeterzx190

St croix victory vs avid x

Anyone have experience with both avid x and victory? I know victory was just released but it’s $20-30 cheaper then the avid x so confused on why they made it. Victory More or less quality? Sensitive? Anything beyond gossip? Want to use for bass fishing....drop shot, Ned, jig etc

2. Skeeterzx190
    There has gotten be be sone people who fish with both!!!!

3. Member
    Held a victory at the store today. Not a st croix user, but I was impressed with the build quality. The rods look nice... the model I held was a bit tip heavy though.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterzx19 View Post
    Anyone have experience with both avid x and victory? I know victory was just released but it’s $20-30 cheaper then the avid x so confused on why they made it. Victory More or less quality? Sensitive? Anything beyond gossip? Want to use for bass fishing....drop shot, Ned, jig etc
    Totally different design and build for St Croix...6 scrim bottom=3 scrim top of blank...Someone must have one ...they sold two shipments already
    Northwoods Adventures Guide Service... Michigan's Upper Peninsula

The Tackle Trap has sold quite a few Victory rods and the feedback we have received from customers has been very positive overall. I have not fished one of them, but have handled them. They are indeed light, a couple are a bit tip heavy, yes. Some of our dedicated St. Croix rod customers have been exceedingly pleased with them for a US built, $200 price point rod and have made subsequent orders after fishing them. These rods feel like they could put Avid and Avid X out of business eventually...

Victory Casting Rods
    Victory Spinning Rods

6. Member
    I'd bet money they discontinue Avid X
    I come from the land of the ice and snow.
    YouTube: PunchFishing

I have some info. I live in WI and just purchased a Victory from the St Croix store. They build the rods at this location as well. Cool to see. Great people build great rods. I have all St CROIX rods most are Avids. Two had bad tips one of guys working asked me if I had them with me I said yes. He said go get them and he would replace the tips. I said how much? He chuckles and says there is never a charge for replacements. Awesome! Anyway the Avid X is going away. The Avid line I believe will stay. I have the 7’4 Heavy Victory. Great rod great build extremely sensitive. The split handle is throwing me. I don’t feel super comfortable with it. Being a heavy/fast action rod the rod feels heavier than all my Avids. Moving forward I don’t know if I will continue to buy Victory’s but that’s because of the split handles. If your a split handle guy Thumbs up. 31B08A39-3C98-4F75-8629-5487D7517EA5.jpeg

To me the handle on the Victory is a lot thinner than on the Avid X. I don't like the feel in my hands.

9. Member
    I have both. I feel that the Victory is more true to its rating, the MH feels like a MH. The Avid X I have is a M and the power feels similar to the Victory MH. The Victory feels lighter to me, in my hands not as sensitive as the Avid X. The Victory also has regular size guides vs the Avid X semi micros. Both great rods but I feel the Victory is lighter and more comfortable to fish, I like it better.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carp_mstr View Post
    To me the handle on the Victory is a lot thinner than on the Avid X. I don't like the feel in my hands.
    Agreed. I sold mine quickly, as i hated the thin handle.

11. Big Fish in a Small Pond hoohoorjoo's Avatar
    I'll take the Avid X all day long. I HATE the SK reel seat they use on the Victory.
    The best revenge is to have enough self-worth not to seek it.

12. Member
    The Victory feels lighter in hand but the Avid X seems to be built better. The action of the Victory is also lighter than its rating. The MH Victory fishes like a medium action rod.

13. Member
    I will be getting a few victory this spring for sure. They are both made in America and come with a 15 year warranty. The victory is a new type of blank called SC3+ so its basically a mix of SC3 and SC6 blank. SC6 is what they use in the legend extreme for strength, extreme sensitivity and still be lightweight. The avid X uses only SC3. The advantage to SC3+ is that you get a lighter, more sensitive rod at a fraction of the cost of the SC6. Based on most peoples reviews, the victory could easily be the best $200 rod on the market. I'm not going to say that yet, because I don't have one in my hands currently. I really like my avid X, but the victory is most likely going to be their top seller over the next few years.
    Last edited by buzzzzbait88; 11-22-2021 at 10:45 PM.

14. Member
    The Victory is a very solid rod! I actually like the feel/balance of the MH & H Victory better than the Avids & Legend Tournament series... It is a different rod for St.Croix in that a MH fishes like a Loomis 3 power- not a 3.5-4 like the Legends and Avids do. IMO the Victory has the better blank and Avid has better guides... handle is personal preference-both are good. I prefer the Victory, but you can't go wrong with either.

15. Member
    Um, St. Croix rods in general are much faster and more powerful than Dobyns rods of the same power and action. I suspect the victory is less powerful than a typical St. Croix so they can advertise lower weight. That could be part of the reason for the thinner handles as well. I am curious about whether the victory blank is better than the avid blank, but I would have to strip down a victory and put decent guides and a comfortable handle on it. Maybe if I find one on sale.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by setsail26 View Post
    Um, St. Croix rods in general are much faster and more powerful than Dobyns rods of the same power and action. I suspect the victory is less powerful than a typical St. Croix so they can advertise lower weight. That could be part of the reason for the thinner handles as well. I am curious about whether the victory blank is better than the avid blank, but I would have to strip down a victory and put decent guides and a comfortable handle on it. Maybe if I find one on sale.
    You're probably right.
    Last edited by buzzzzbait88; 11-22-2021 at 10:46 PM.

17. Member
    This is the first I’ve heard that St Croix has a softer tip and lighter action than other companies.. typically St Croix has always had a faster tip and heavier power than what they’re rated for. Ive owned quite a few St Croixs from the premier to the LTB and always thought they fished over the ratings starting at the medium power.. On the other hand, Loomis tends to have a softer tip and lighter

that said, the AvidX 6’9” ML-XF is perfect imo. Perfect tip, great balance and perfect action. It’s my most versatile spinning rod and my favorite. I build my own rods now and that’s the one I tend to use as an example of how I want a rod to feel. I sure hope the Victory doesn’t replace the AvidX as that’s the only production rod I’d buy now.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

18. Member
    I think maybe I saw the softer tip remark from a TV guy. I'll see if I can find the video tomorrow