Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GPtimes2 View Post
    Must not of had voting machines!

Some of you people crack me up. You bash unions at every opportunity, and yet all of us owe a big thank you to unions. If it wasn't for unions do you think we would have paid vacations, health insurance, a 40 work week, and many other benefits? You honestly think companies would have started giving these benefits without unions? Many companies starting giving these benefits just to keep unions out.
    The best way to cheer yourself up is to cheer up someone else.

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jc1234 View Post
    Some of you people crack me up. You bash unions at every opportunity, and yet all of us owe a big thank you to unions. If it wasn't for unions do you think we would have paid vacations, health insurance, a 40 work week, and many other benefits? You honestly think companies would have started giving these benefits without unions? Many companies starting giving these benefits just to keep unions out.
    Ok we have all that now, and we still need to pay tribute?

4. Member
    Yea I always liked when non union people in construction got a prevailing wage job and was all giddy about it. And then would bad mouth unions. And the only reason they was getting the money they was getting was cause of unions.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DAC244 View Post
    Yea I always liked when non union people in construction got a prevailing wage job and was all giddy about it. And then would bad mouth unions. And the only reason they was getting the money they was getting was cause of unions.
    Just think someone paid an inflated price for a building because the free market was not allowed to prevail.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by August west View Post
    Good. A price increase and slower service was sure to follow if it had won.
    Yep, thats right.....

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    Just think someone paid an inflated price for a building because the free market was not allowed to prevail.
    Yea whatever you say!

8. Member
    Had they unionized I wonder if that would have accelerated their move to more automation and robotics. The Amazon vote is a bump in the road but longer term we are going to need to address the issue of what happens when machines and robots are doing the work that people used to do. I wonder if the threat of automation weighed on the voters minds.

Can we also thank unions for bankrupting US auto manufacturers and sending jobs to Mexico? Can we thank them for hiring homeless people to bang drums in front of business and have giant inflatable rats to publicly shame free market choices? Can we thank all of the corruption and embezzlement that has been documented over the years?

Where do I send my hallmark card?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroZ7 View Post
    Had they unionized I wonder if that would have accelerated their move to more automation and robotics. The Amazon vote is a bump in the road but longer term we are going to need to address the issue of what happens when machines and robots are doing the work that people used to do. I wonder if the threat of automation weighed on the voters minds.
    Do you not think that if they could get machines to do the job done they would not already done it? Do you think they are worried about someone losing their job?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DAC244 View Post
    Do you not think that if they could get machines to do the job done they would not already done it?
    It depends. If the present rate of pay and benefits is cheaper than paying to automate then they would not. However, if an increase in wage and benefits rises to a level where it makes sense to automate then they would. Also keep in mind that as technology and artificial intelligence gets cheaper and more effective over time that the cost to automate will go down. This is going to be a huge issue 20 years from now and I am not sure what we are going to do if people have no jobs to fill. This isn't anti-union or pr-union it is just a fact we are all going to have to deal with as technology advances.

12. Member
    Industrial revolution factory workers really benefited from unions in a positive way, and that spilled into more skilled labor groups. For that, many ppl should be thankful

But please don't pretend anyone with benefits owes unions a debt of gratitude.

I am not anti-union. I am pro right to work.
    Greg
    Edgewater 245CC

13. Banned
    I use to work in grocery when I was 19 and lasted for 10 years. I'm vested and get the " we are broke" letter every single year. All while the ufcw has private jets and such. I'm not a fan.

14. Member
    It depends. If the present rate of pay and benefits is cheaper than paying to automate then they would not. However, if an increase in wage and benefits rises to a level where it makes sense to automate then they would. Also keep in mind that as technology and artificial intelligence gets cheaper and more effective over time that the cost to automate will go down. This is going to be a huge issue 20 years from now and I am not sure what we are going to do if people have no jobs to fill. This isn't anti-union or pr-union it is just a fact we are all going to have to deal with as technology advances.
    I think in the next 20 years there will be worse things to worry about.

15. Banned
    They just raised wages for jobs that will soon be replaced by machines

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by g352nv View Post
    I use to work in grocery when I was 19 and lasted for 10 years. I'm vested and get the " we are broke" letter every single year. All while the ufcw has private jets and such. I'm not a fan.
    I always got a laugh out of monthly news letter with the back page being legal notices of members facing charges embezzlement, black mail, and assault was common.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by g352nv View Post
    Actually that mirrors my early work history pretty close.

Got my first job at a grocery store 5 days after turning 16. We went on strike a week later

I stayed there 6 years and I am vested in a pension that I am pretty sure will not be there when I retire and yes they send more I am broke mail than the NRA. I would get promoted/get a raise because of my work habits and I was told several times by the manager that he wished he could give me more but because of the union contract he was limited to a certain amount for merit increases.

On a separate note my grandfather told me how he used to run a masonry company and one time all his employees threatened him by telling him that they were going to join a union. He laughed in their faces and told them go right ahead but expect their next paycheck to be smaller.He worked their asses off every single day and expected them to work hard and do top notch work for their money......but he paid them better than anyone else around. Back then (different time than it is now) some of his white workers did not like the fact that he paid the black workers equally or even better than they were getting paid. He paid them by their quality of work. He compensated his employees well. He gave them loans if they needed them for a life milestone event etcetera. Provided regular company cookouts and such. but expected a lot in return.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by novakevlar View Post
    Can we also thank unions for bankrupting US auto manufacturers and sending jobs to Mexico? Can we thank them for hiring homeless people to bang drums in front of business and have giant inflatable rats to publicly shame free market choices? Can we thank all of the corruption and embezzlement that has been documented over the years?

Where do I send my hallmark card?
    The car industry did that on their own. Yes Union contracts were fat but everyone involved were living the dream as long as Detroit had lion share of the market. Gm Ford Dodge all built and designed bad cars in the seventies and eighties and more.
    I don’t buy gm because of this three rotten cars in a row. Unions did assemble but they didn’t design them. Detroit got lazy everybody . It is funny the foreign car makers have plants here the domestic Dont. Very few plants here left.
    Its nothing more than corporate greed has taken over America it’s sad. At this rate it won’t be America much longer.
    Hope you can speak Chinese because their taking over who’s gonna stop them Biden lol.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    amen.

20. Member
    I have to admit I was shocked by the vote, got a lot of media coverage here.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast