Thread: Fuel Capacity

Fuel Capacity

With the introduction of 4 stroke and theory of better fuel mileage, which is a over all false statement to a certain degree because of boating conditions, has BCB lowered or thinking about lowering their premium boats fuel capacity? Fuel capacity for me personally would be a consideration when it comes to boat brands.

Fuel burn has not changed. Horsepower creates a 10% fuel burn on outboards as a rule and still does. 200 HP = 20 GPH max average fuel burn. Which a Pantera II usually burns 18.2 to 19.4 GPH.

3. Member
    I didnt ask that. I asked if BCB is going to change their fuel capacity's on premium boats because of 4 stroke engines now.

4. Member
    I'm not BassCat, but I don't understand your question. 250 HP is 250 HP regardless of 2 stroke or 4 stroke and fuel usage is virtually the same. Are you thinking the fuel system should hold more, or less than it does now? Personally, I want the largest capacity I can get. If I fill the tanks up, I can go longer between visits to the gas station. If I want to go "fast", I will leave the tanks at around 1/2 capacity.

2016 Puma/250 SHO

5. Member
    Whats so hard about the question. If a 4 stroke in theory gets better fuel mileage, are the premium boats going to have smaller fuel capacity. I have read that other brands are considering this when it comes to future builds, Fuel capacity. I should have called BCB.

I don't understand either, why make a smaller fuel tank? Just put Less fuel in the boat if that's a concern?
    2022 Basscat Jaquar
    Mercury 300 Pro Xs

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Steel View Post
    I don't understand either, why make a smaller fuel tank? Just put Less fuel in the boat if that's a concern?
    Its been printed/then talked about that some manufactures have considered smaller tanks because in theory 4 stroke gets better mileage. Its a weight thing basically. BCB answer after calling, which I should have done to begin with is NO.

8. Member
    That is what BCB said in the first place. Both motors burn fuel at the same rate so why would they decrease the tanks. Did not think after that statement that you would need a definite yes or no. Not sure where you are getting info on 4S getting better milage than the 2S.....after owning both it is a wash. 4S is more reliable and less maintenance....better torque overall....the way boating world is going.
    Elwood....Bass Cat Strong

2020 Bass Cat Eyra
    2020 Mercury 300R 4S (1E081080)
    Hell Yeah!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood View Post
    That is what BCB said in the first place. Both motors burn fuel at the same rate so why would they decrease the tanks. Did not think after that statement that you would need a definite yes or no. Not sure where you are getting info on 4S getting better milage than the 2S.....after owning both it is a wash. 4S is more reliable and less maintenance....better torque overall....the way boating world is going.
    Absolutely correct
    2022 Basscat Jaquar
    Mercury 300 Pro Xs

10. Member
    The biggest problem with the question is the premise. The Optis did slightly better on fuel than the 4 strokes are doing.

Why would BCB put smaller fuel cells in their boats. Some of us make long runs. A smaller fuel capacity would make me less likely to buy a boat from any company. If you want less weight because you don't need the range then put less fuel in the tank. BCB tried to explain that the newer engines are not really that much more efficient.

the moderator on staff answered your question.
    Fuel burn has not changed.

Horsepower creates a 10% fuel burn on outboards as a rule and still does. 200 HP = 20 GPH max average fuel burn. Which a Pantera II usually burns 18.2 to 19.4 GPH.

Quote Originally Posted by fynns View Post
    Its been printed/then talked about that some manufactures have considered smaller tanks because in theory 4 stroke gets better mileage. Its a weight thing basically. BCB answer after calling, which I should have done to begin with is NO.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fynns View Post
    If it’s a weight thing just don’t fill them up all the way?? The weight difference in an empty 50 gallon tank and an empty 30 gallon tank is minimal. Just put enough fuel in to get you thru the day if it’s a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by iron banks View Post
    Why would BCB put smaller fuel cells in their boats. Some of us make long runs. A smaller fuel capacity would make me less likely to buy a boat from any company. If you want less weight because you don't need the range then put less fuel in the tank. BCB tried to explain that the newer engines are not really that much more efficient.
    +1
    I BELIEVE!!!!

15. Member
    He wasn't asking for a technical answer, he wanted a simple yes or no.. From the sounds of it on the phone Basscat said NO we will not be lowering the fuel tank capacity. Case closed :) Let's go feeshin.