Oneida - Early June

Considering a trip to Oneida in June for 1st time ever, what stage of spawn are bass typically in then? any basic pattern ideas?

Thanks for the help

2. Member
    Early June should be a mix of fish in all three phases, with majority being in spawn-post spawn depending on temps. I’ve always done well with the typical smallie stuff, tubes, ned rigs, finesse jigs and jerkbaits during that. focus on shallow shoals or flats with deep water relatively close by. The west end (Brewerton) typically has better fishing but I’ve always s just fished around the north shore by Cleveland just cause that’s where my parents camp used to be. Last year it was pretty tough fishing, some people found the fish pretty well but I wasn’t one of them . Slowest preseason I’ve ever had on Oneida so hopefully this year is different
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

3. Member
    Thanks for the help

4. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    Early June should be a mix of fish in all three phases, with majority being in spawn-post spawn depending on temps. I’ve always done well with the typical smallie stuff, tubes, ned rigs, finesse jigs and jerkbaits during that. focus on shallow shoals or flats with deep water relatively close by. The west end (Brewerton) typically has better fishing but I’ve always s just fished around the north shore by Cleveland just cause that’s where my parents camp used to be. Last year it was pretty tough fishing, some people found the fish pretty well but I wasn’t one of them . Slowest preseason I’ve ever had on Oneida so hopefully this year is different
    spot on couldnt have said it better myself

5. Member
    Especially the part about Oneida being tough last year....

6. Member
    Second that...

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

7. Member
    Any clue what the current water temps are running on the Brewerton side?

8. Member
    Hearing low. To mid 40s...

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

9. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleIke View Post
    Especially the part about Oneida being tough last year....
    although MY PB largie at 7-4 is from Oneida if I was coming to NY def wouldnt be tops on my list, with the way its been the past few years

10. Member
    Oneida and every other body of water got the piss beat out of it all spring due to people out of work and everything else being shut down. Fishing was about the only thing open last spring. I know I used most of my 20 vacation days fishing because it’s not like I could actually go on vacation. It’s no wonder the fishing was tough. The bite got better in November when the pressure died down and they were gouging on 3” perch but Oneida still didn’t fish as good as in the past falls.
    Brandon
    1996 Ranger 362XT
    Johnson Faststrike 150

11. Member
    So what I’m gathering is that it’s not worth taking a 5hr trip up here in June? Trying to do a long weekend with the wife. Went to Cayuga last year and had a blast. Just want to get her on some smallies this time.

12. Scraps
    This is disappointing to hear in a way. Seems the last few years have been tough. Ordinarily I would think the June timeframe "should" be spectacular on Oneida. Now my own database of experiences goes back to the early 2000s fishing in October a number of successive seasons where the fishing was just awesome. Shallow water lipless fishing was fantastic.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

13. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenskeeter View Post
    So what I’m gathering is that it’s not worth taking a 5hr trip up here in June? Trying to do a long weekend with the wife. Went to Cayuga last year and had a blast. Just want to get her on some smallies this time.
    dare say better smallie fishing to be had on Cayuga in early june on the south end to mid lake then on oneida. Size will be way better on cayuga as well. early june will be bedding smallies 5 to 6 pounders arent uncommen

14. Member
    Yea, it's been said, but oneida warms up quick and the majority of the spawn is done by june and you're probably not going to run into great fishing. Doesnt mean it wont happen but if you're looking at a 5 hr trip it wouldnt be my first choice. Oneida is my home lake and it just isnt the same, catching big numbers just doesnt happen as often for me anymore. All the finger lakes are a better option and give you much better chance at a 5-6 lber, especially like it was said, the south half of cayuga which will be coming into primetime in early june

15. Member
    Looking now at Erie ( Erie pa area ) or finger lakes. More or less just looking for numbers with bringing the wife up. Would love to see her snatch a 5lb but i don’t think her patience level is there lol

16. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenskeeter View Post
    Looking now at Erie ( Erie pa area ) or finger lakes. More or less just looking for numbers with bringing the wife up. Would love to see her snatch a 5lb but i don’t think her patience level is there lol
    doesnt take much patience or even skill to catch a 5lb smallie off a bed in cayuga ( or any other lake/river), toss a drop shot on there bed if there gonna eat it will most likely be on the first or second pitch. there not like largies on a bed those smallies get pretty pissed off quick. For what your trying to accomplish the mid to south end of cayuga should be your destination IMO. Not that erie isnt full of giants either..

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    doesnt take much patience or even skill to catch a 5lb smallie off a bed in cayuga ( or any other lake/river), toss a drop shot on there bed if there gonna eat it will most likely be on the first or second pitch. there not like largies on a bed those smallies get pretty pissed off quick. For what your trying to accomplish the mid to south end of cayuga should be your destination IMO. Not that erie isnt full of giants either..

true true. We had a blast on the north end of Cayuga last year for our honeymoon. She Especially loved Wolfies food and drinks haha. Does anyone have a recommended place to stay? Looking on Airbnb is tough. Most places don’t have room for a
    boat