Curado 200E7 drag issue

Hey guys, I've got 3 200E7's which I've only lightly used and I want to switch them over to use on some heavier rods for flippin and frogging. No matter what I do I cannot seem to get the drag to synch down on all 3 of them, tightening the star drag as far as I can and I can still pull line slowly (specs say they have 11lbs drag but when I test mine it starts slipping at 5lbs. All my other shimano I's, K's, 50E's, 70's I cannot budge when they are locked down.
    First time I took the 200E7's apart and cleaned all 3, made sure the washers didn't have too much grease. This last attempt I replaced both the drag washers and the drag spring washers, and I get the same result. All still slip at only around 5lbs pressure.
    What am I missing? Frustrating to have 3 quality reels that I can't use.

My initial suggestion before I ready through everything was to get a set of Carbontex drag washers and install new spring washers like you said you did already. Did you make sure the spring washers were installed correctly? They cupped faces should face each other like this ( ). As little grease as possible too on the drag washers as well.

3. Member
    Thanks, yes I made sure they were cupped and also just barely dusted the new drag washers with grease as well (although they were regular Shimano replacements not the carbontex). The drag is very smooth and consistent, just won't lock down- like it isn't getting enough pressure, but I can't turn the star drag any tighter and find it odd that all 3 reels are doing the same.

What grease are you using? Washers (both) need to be wet thru and thru. Dan
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"

5. Member
    Shimano star drag grease

Grease em good, let it soak in and grease them again.

7. Member
    Ok, I will definitely try that, thanks!

8. Banned
    Grease is too allow them to slip easily without jerking. If you want brute stopping power on the drag, dont soak them in grease. Just put an ever soo slight coat to them. This will allow them to bite, but if they do slip at max, they wont be too jerky.

Quote Originally Posted by LgMouthGambler View Post
    Grease is too allow them to slip easily without jerking. If you want brute stopping power on the drag, dont soak them in grease. Just put an ever soo slight coat to them. This will allow them to bite, but if they do slip at max, they wont be too jerky.
    Actually, this is a common misnomer....grease assists in the drags creating grip as well slipage. In most cases even more so in wet drag applications which those are. Dan

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by reelex View Post
    Actually, this is a common misnomer....grease assists in the drags creating grip as well slipage. In most cases even more so in wet drag applications which those are. Dan
    So grease helps with grip. Got it. Ill try to remember that when I need better grip on my floors.

please do....take a dry micro fiber towel and slide across your cars hood. Now put some water on the towel and try it again... get it now? Have someone explain it to you if you still dont understand please ....Dan

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by reelex View Post
    please do....take a dry micro fiber towel and slide across your cars hood. Now put some water on the towel and try it again... get it now? Have someone explain it to you if you still dont understand please ....Dan
    Sure, with a light mist. Soak the hood of the car and the rag slides easily. Like I said, a little goes a long way, not soaking the crap outta the drag with grease.

13. Member
    Y’all should get a room, one in which you can service reels together and swap trade secrets.