Fuel Delivery Problem?

SN #2B111025 Pro xs 175
    I took the boat out yesterday evening. Pumped the bulb when I backed the boat in and it fired up fine. Made a short run to my first stop and fished for 30 mins or so. I went to crank up and move and it would crank but not fire on the first try. Turned the key off and back on and it fired up but sounded like it wasn't getting fuel. Once it was running it ran fine but did this every time I stopped to fish. I tried pumping the bulb but noticed it wouldn't firm up. Looking for ideas of what may be the problem? Should I replace the primer bulb first and foremost and then go from there?

2. Member
    Sounds like either bulb problem or vst/fuel line leak. VST needle/seat may not be sealing correctly or a seal/o-ring somewhere is leaking. Bulb would be easiest to check, but if it is a leak you need to find that, not sure where the leak would be but maybe possible for it to cause a fire.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Make sure you are rotating the primer bulb so that the arrow points towards the SKY when pumping it. Do this before EVERY engine start and see if the problem continues.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

How many pumps on the bulb, if vst is very near empty it may require twenty or more to get firm. This is important info to help narrow it down a little, be sure arrow is pointed up, any I work on I make sure they are positioned so the arrow is always up
    Thank You Leon Pugh