Power Pro vs Kastking braid for light lures

When I fish for pan fish I must use smaller and lighter lures that exhibit subtle actions no matter the depth fished. My main pan fish lures are light ball head jigs and soft plastic lures which I cast 40' or more to cover water. Small line diameter and softness are what allows the best lure action and braid line provides that as well as best strike detection/ hooksets from a distance.

I've tried different company braids to assess the above. Most do fine for larger lures and heavy pound test uses, but for light tackle and cost per yard, I can't beat Kastking Super Power Braid. 8# test has a diameter equivalent to 4 # test mono. Abrasion resistance is excellent and knots never come free. Pricewise it blows other braids away: $17 for 328 yds. and free s/h vs Power Pro at $29 for 300 yds. and free s/h. Both are found on Ebay.

Power Pro did not cast my light lure near as far as Kastking - worse when casting into a breeze. I had to go up in jig weight for better distance casts from 1/32 oz to 1/24 oz jigs. Maybe when the line wears a bit will it do better. If not, off it comes.

Dorisea braid is one I haven't seen before or tried. It goes for $12 for 300 yds. of 8# test, free s/h. Maybe after I finish using up Kastking I might try 100 yds. for $7 free s/h.

Some ask why I don't use light fluorocarbon leaders. Line bow on the retrieve or when trolling reduces strike sensitivity IMO and light lure action suffers. Do fish care about line visibility? Most likely not though I have had small sunfish peck at the line near the surface ignoring the lure.

2. Member
    Nanofil is still the king of this category. I always tie to a swivel, then use a short leader.

3. Member
    Don't forget about fireline. Walleye guys throw that alot. I've tried 8 and 10# braid in the past. Not very good results. I've got a tub full of mono that's gotta get used up before I invest in more line.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

4. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Alumicraft145 View Post
    Don't forget about fireline. Walleye guys throw that alot. I've tried 8 and 10# braid in the past. Not very good results. I've got a tub full of mono that's gotta get used up before I invest in more line.
    I use fire line with good success. Uni to uni knot to a 4# mono leader works for me.