Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

300 Verado sputtering

I have A 2016 300 Verado with 475 hours on it. Yesterday when running over 4000 or higher it would start to spit and sputter. Just not wanting to run higher RPMs. Runs perfect till I reach the higher RPM level. I’ve never had any problems with it. This is the first time it’s done this. It was setting for 5 months with some gas in it, but added about 15 gallons fresh on top. Serial # is 2B172074.
    model # is 1302V23LD. Thanks for replying

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    When was the last time that you replaced the fuel filters, and the spark plugs?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    I haven’t replaced either. I purchased the boat with just over 400 hours on it. Planning on replacing all filters as soon as my mechanic can get to it.
    Also wanted to ad I put marine stable in it over the winter and I noticed the water separator is about 75 percent full. Can that be A issue?

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Water separator should be 100% full (of FUEL, no water).

I would recommend having your technician/dealer do a check of the basics, and then go through all of the maintenance on the engine (filters, plugs, thermostat, belt, water pump, gear lube, etc).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    That wasn’t the water separator that had water in it. It was A pump. So I talked to my mechanic today he’s going to do A full service on it and see if we can figure out what’s going on. Probably start by replacing all filters. And check fuel delivery, and spark.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

7. Member
    Update. Replaced fuel filter, water separator filter, and impeller. Changed all fluids, no codes on computer. Checked spark plugs, mechanic Said they looked fine. But still sputtering and cutting out at 4,500 RPM. So now what do we do?

8. Member
    I have two sets of used spark plugs laying on my work bench that "look fine". Both times, a new set of plugs cured my issue. .....Sure left me scratching my head as to why.
    Last edited by satbeachbill; 06-11-2021 at 08:17 AM.

9. Member
    Why would bad plugs only misfire at high rpm’s. It runs perfect until 4,500. Please explain

10. Member
    Going to take back to my mechanic. Is there anything else he should replace or check besides the plugs?

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Everything. However... I personally would not go to that much trouble until the plugs have been REPLACED and you confirm that the condition is still present (or gone).

Plugs can be very deceiving, especially in the 4-stroke outboards.

12. Member
    What’s the best or recommended plugs we should replace with?

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Mercury Part# 889246Q39

NGK: ILFR6GE

14. Member
    Sounds like a coil. Had one do that under a load. Would not throw a code. Found a faulty coil. Replaced and fixed the problem.

15. Member
    Is there Anyway to check the coils to see if they’re bad? Or just replace them and see what happens.

16. Member
    My mechanic checked for codes, we did have any. So maybe it’s plugs and or coils.

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Can also do a spark test with the G3 Diagnostic System, set the gap on the spark tester to 7/16" gap.

Also remember to check the boot portion of the pencil coils for burn marks or holes caused by "escaping spark".

18. Member
    Replaced the plugs, taking her out this weekend. I’ll update after. Thanks for your reply’s

19. Member
    Update, it was just the plugs. Brent Lintner down at portside marine did the work for me. Look him up. He’s in Avila beach Ca. Totally honest guy would not do any work unless he thought necessary. Boats back on the water running good. Thanks Bloody Decks for all your input.

20. Member
    Doing it again!!. I’m up here at Clearlake and it’s sputtering again. Was fine right after I changed the plugs but now doing it again. So frustrating.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast