Thread: Lake Ontario?

Banned

Lake Ontario?

I'm looking to expand on my SM addiction as my former stomping grounds of Door Co is a little far.What are the average size of fish in that Eastern area?

2. Member
    Haven't fished Ontario in a few years but I catch plenty of 5 pounders on East end of Erie. I don't really target them but I catch many when I am fishing in shallow in the spring.

3. Member
    Giant smallmouth in Ontario like all the rest of the great lakes. If you travel there the thing that will control your day is wind. I've had many days ruined. Better have a plan "b"
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

4. Member
    If you are going to head over to the Eastern side, near the St Lawrence, and the wind comes up. Head into Chaumont Bay to get some fishing in. Very protected and has 2 or 3 ramps.
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

5. Member
    Chaumont bay can get a extremely rough too... it’s not that protected I’ve had waves crashing over the bow and at times could only idle because it was so rough in the bay. Typically if the lake is unfishable, the bay will have 3-4footers. The Guffin bay launch sucks, it’s at a tricky angle with no room to really maneuver especially with a dual axel trailer. The state launch is decent but shallow so if the waters down powerloading can be an issue.

If the winds are whipping and you can’t fish chaumont or Ontario, I’d head to butterfield, Sandy pond or redfield.

also keep in mind if you’re planning a late spring early summer trip, it’s illegal to fish for bass in Jefferson, and St Lawrence county before June 19 of this year so you’d have to go after that date.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

6. Member
    Ecobb91, thanks. Maybe the wind was blowing the right way for me when I went over to Chaumont. Where can you put in at Sandy Pond?
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

7. Member
    There’s a few on Sandy pond but the main one is at a restaurant called Kyles Wigwam on the southern end. It’s a paid launch, that’s a pretty long and steep run before you get to the waters edge but that’s where most clubs go out of. There’s also Green Point Marina at the northern end with a decent launch, it’s private too but I like it better than the wigwam. Also At the end of Doreen Dr there’s a state launch but there’s no dock and parking is limited. I’ve never used it but that’s where the Fisher of Men team trail goes out of..

Sandy is a very shallow place haha last September i got my boat stuck on the sand bar at the channel heading into the main lake and when we came back in there were about 8 pontoon boats that were stuck. It’s the only place I’ve also came off plane and the sskeg dig into the bottom. Early season and when the water is at normal level it’s a great place to fish, flipping and topwater paradise.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    There’s a few on Sandy pond but the main one is at a restaurant called Kyles Wigwam on the southern end. It’s a paid launch, that’s a pretty long and steep run before you get to the waters edge but that’s where most clubs go out of. There’s also Green Point Marina at the northern end with a decent launch, it’s private too but I like it better than the wigwam. Also At the end of Doreen Dr there’s a state launch but there’s no dock and parking is limited. I’ve never used it but that’s where the Fisher of Men team trail goes out of..

Sandy is a very shallow place haha last September i got my boat stuck on the sand bar at the channel heading into the main lake and when we came back in there were about 8 pontoon boats that were stuck. It’s the only place I’ve also came off plane and the sskeg dig into the bottom. Early season and when the water is at normal level it’s a great place to fish, flipping and topwater paradise.
    This season however, Ontario is VERY low for Spring, almost late Summer low.