Gonna pull the trigger

We have decided to live our dream. Me fishing whenever I want and wife playing golf. In the process of selling everything, moving to Okeechobee Florida. Only thing we have not purchased is a new boat. Have been bouncing between a Falcon F195 with a 200 and a Nitro Z20 Pro with a 250 and a slew of options. Finally landed on the Falcon. I can get more bells and whistles on the Nitro but from what I have found through reading the Falcon is a much higher quality. I have toured the Falcon factory (live just down the road). The owner actually showed us around and it is very impressive!
    Anyone with experience with the F195 think this boat is big enough and stable enough for a lake the size of Okeechobee?
    HMC USN RET
    2022 Falcon F195/Merc 200 and all the goodies I could get on it.

2. Member
    Chief,
    It is going to be fine on days you really want to be fishing. If there are days when you are questionable or days you have to fish but kinda wish you weren't then any boat is too small. I have the 215 and wish it were larger some days... That said, you are the king of your budget and can choose. If you can look at weather forecast and say it looks like stay home and read kind of day the 195 will treat you well. (you could also shop around and try to find a 205 or 215 you can travel for)

3. Member
    Thanks for the reply Have a request in to price the 205 just in case I decide to go bigger. I would jump on the Nitro but, have read so much about problems and customer service being less than desirable. Too bad cause I love the size and layout of the Nitro.
    HMC USN RET

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alann View Post
    Thanks for the reply Have a request in to price the 205 just in case I decide to go bigger. I would jump on the Nitro but, have read so much about problems and customer service being less than desirable. Too bad cause I love the size and layout of the Nitro.
    I see you're coming out of Triton. I upgrading to the Falcon F20 TE from a 2003 Triton TR186. I had the Triton for 18 years and it served me well. There were fit and finish issues. I would have looked a staying in Triton, but not with the new ownership. I ordered my F20 in early March and anxiously waiting.

Brian Latimer did an interesting segment on the 195 and 205. The 195 is very fishable and will handle rough water well. When it came down to it, it rough water, wind and stability, the 205 was better for him.

I'd stay away from the Nitro, but I'm sure the guys on the Nitro board would feel differently. While you do get a lot of features for your $, their service is notoriously spotty - at BPS anyway. I'm sure there are a lot of independent Nitro dealers who provide great service.

Three guys in my old club started out with Nitros - all of the switched to another brand when they got new boats. I fished as a co in several Nitros in the Great Lakes - they don't take a rough water well -- meaning I've seen cracks from relatively modest waves at appropriate speeds develop. That was enough for me.

I've heard tremendous praise from Falcon owners and next to no complaints. Granted, no boat is perfect.
    Sam

2022 Falcon F20 TE Hybrid - 250 Mercury Pro XS
    Not a pro - barely an average Joe!

5. Member
    My son has a F20 TE, as for rough water running it handles Santee Cooper just fine. Very fishable boat.

I fish lake murray almost exclusively. Some days it can be damn nasty out there! On those days it wouldnt matter if it was the Big O or Lake Erie. If i were to get a Falcon, it would be the F20 TE or the 205. I really like falcon boats. You should look at getting decking that is NOT carpet. Look into Aquatraction, SeaDek or whatever brand Falcon has a contract with for flooring. Stay away from carpet since you are getting a new one. you will love the other options besides carpet.
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    Kenny Hollingsworth<<<<<<<<<MY NAME!
    828 674 6752
    Hendersonville NC<<<<MY LOCATION!!

7. Member
    I am under a budget. If I jump up to a 20 footer would have to cut back on some of the options. Will look at what I can do when I sit down with dealer this week. Thanks for the advice.
    HMC USN RET

Its worth noting too, that i talked to a guy with a Nitro at a gas station last weekend in SC. He said it would run 85 mph . Z20 with 250 pro xs 4s. Said his was unique an probably the fastest nitro in SC. I told it has to be the fastest in the world. And imagine how fast it would be if it wasnt tournament loaded with two people and full tank of gas. Id hate to race that guy with my boat. It would be embarrassing and i would have to sell mine.
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    Kenny Hollingsworth<<<<<<<<<MY NAME!
    828 674 6752
    Hendersonville NC<<<<MY LOCATION!!

9. Member
    i have probably spent a couple hundred hours in 2020 195/200 Falcon. It's my tournament partners boat. It fishes big, is plenty fast and handles the rough conditions of Champlain well. You will feel like you have plenty of boat both running and fishing. He gets it up to high 60s and holeshot loaded heavy is great with a 23 Fury 3. I think your making the right decision with your choice. Its a solid feeling well laid out boat.

10. Member
    Just a thought, you live in Chapin. My son lives in Summerville, fishes Santee. He's out of town this weekend, but if you'd like to meet him at a ramp down this ways before you decide on a boat he might be willing to take you for a test ride.

11. Member
    Thanks. I am in the middle of moving to Fla. Wish I had time to take advantage of this offer but just to busy.
    HMC USN RET