Buying an old Skeeter ZX180

Hello. I have been looking for a nice boat, to get back into fishing when I retire, soon. I found what is said to be a 1997 Skeeter ZX180, but I believe it is a 1996. It appears to be in good shape in pictures, but if I go take a look at it what are some of the things i should be looking for?

Is it crazy to buy a 25 year old fiberglass boat? I looked at something new, but I'm retiring soon, and don't want to be strapped with payments. There are not many used boats on the market, around my area, and what there is is either junk, or priced close to new.

Buying this old of boat, and having not owned a boat in over 30 years, has me nervous. If anyone could share their experience, or expertise, I would sure appreciate your input.

Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    I should add, I have not seen this boat, and was hoping to get some opinions before I drive 1/2 a day to look at it. Pictures look good, but I have no real idea of the gelcoat condition, are floor solid.
    It does appear to have new carpet installed, making me think maybe it's been well taken care of, but one seat has a good sized rip in the fabric.

3. Member
    I know the guy that is still running my old ZX185. Loves the boat...still. That thing had an incredibly fast holeshot and ran strong. Had to watch the chine walk when trimmed out and at max speed, but it would run! Mine had a 150 Merc on it and the previous owner (I was the 2nd and now it's on it's 4th owner) maintained it well. I would look over the engine really good and check, if you can, that they have been changing the L/U oil and the water pump. Regardless, if you buy it, I would do that anyways. I would do a general once over, looking for any any stress cracks, I don't recall any issues with that, it's just something to be aware of, as well as deep gouges underneath on the hull. Don't forget the trailer...that should be looked at as well. Fun boat and easy to fish out of, even for two people. Good Luck!

4. Member
    Depending on your time line if you could put off the purchase for ~1 year I would expect the market to get back more normal and people more willing to let go of their used boats to purchase new. Since you cant buy a new boat right now without a long wait I think alot of people are hesitant to sell/purchase, which is driving prices up on used boats. But if its time to fish then you got to do what you got to do. My .02 cents of course.

5. Member
    Be sure to ask how old the tires are. Tires can be old and ready to blow but look new. On my brothers boat, he hadn’t used it much the last 10 years and we went on a trip about an hour and half drive and both tires blew out. They looked new tread wise! Or be ready to replace them locally where you buy the boat before the long drive back if you buy it.

6. Member
    Thanks gents. I appreciate the input.

7. Member
    Driving a half day-ask for a test ride to see it run and let the owner show you how he runs it.