300R Steering Torque

Got a couple customers with Bullets with the new 300R....tons of steering torque with any prop. Is anyone experiencing this ?
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

Does the skeg have a built in torque tamer/tab?

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Member
    Yes, I sold a Max5 because of the excessive torque. Only answer I think would be to install a Sea Star power assist. Would fit where the oil tank was. I'm running a pro max prop now torque isn't too bad.

4. Member
    I have not noticed any on my 300R (running a Bass Cat Eyra) unless I am going to slow for the amount of trim and engine height I am running.
    Elwood....Bass Cat Strong

2020 Bass Cat Eyra
    2020 Mercury 300R 4S (1E081080)
    Hell Yeah!!!!!!!!

5. Member
    I have a ton of steering wheel torque with my 250R. I'm running a 32p Max 5 on a 20'XDC.

6. Member
    My XRS with 300R has lot of torque, too much in my opinion. Power Tech BRA 5, 28 pitch. Wished I knew a way to lower the torque, pretty hard to steer.

7. Member
    Running bravos & promaxs & havent noticed it on mine.
    ‘17 Bullet 21 SDC ‘20 Merc 300R 1.60 SM 1E081012

8. Member
    I have a 250XS and I am running a ProMax 26. I ran mine the other day and this is one of the things that I thought about after the day. My pro Max has ZERO steering torque. Almost to the point that I am thinking is something wrong??
    Last edited by BULLET FAN; 04-07-2021 at 04:22 PM.
    2005 21XD W/ 2005 MERC 250XS BULLET TOTAL PERFORMANCE BOAT!!

Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    Does the skeg have a built in torque tamer/tab?
    Cambered skeg
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

10. Member
    Run my first Ballistic without Sea Star power steering..on long high speed runs with motor up high, arm would be pumped and tired after couple runs..excessive amount or torque IMO..second Ballistic had power steering...best money I spent on boat! Could drive in 90’s with 2 fingers..My new Blazer 650 W/Sho has it as well...never own another without it..makes driving the boat so much easier..cost is $2000-$2500..
    Blazer 650 PRO /Nizpro SC SHO

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by falconpilot View Post
    Run my first Ballistic without Sea Star power steering..on long high speed runs with motor up high, arm would be pumped and tired after couple runs..excessive amount or torque IMO..second Ballistic had power steering...best money I spent on boat! Could drive in 90’s with 2 fingers..My new Blazer 650 W/Sho has it as well...never own another without it..makes driving the boat so much easier..cost is $2000-$2500..
    I have hydraulic steering on my 20xdc, have had it since the boat was new (2003). I've had a 280 and a 250 Sport xs and never noticed any steering torque. Now I have a 250R and it has a LOT of steering torque. Not all the time, mainly when turning under acceleration and even under hard acceleration going straight. I actually blead my hydraulic system thinking there was something wrong, but didn't find anything. With the other motors I was running ~27- 28 pitch 4 blade props, I'm running a 32 pitch Max 5 now, which is also a larger diameter prop, and I'm running 2" above pad and used to be 1-1/2" above, so maybe thats what's causing it. I'm not sure but it gets tiring on long hard runs. I even get concerned that it might over-load something in the hydraulic steering and fail running 90+.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    Got a couple customers with Bullets with the new 300R....tons of steering torque with any prop. Is anyone experiencing this ?
    Is there a hydraulic system out there thats maybe made for bigger HP that will fit on an outboard? Like I mentioned, I really have a concern my current hydraulic steering will fail.

13. Member
    I just talked to my dealer and he recommended a "power assist" pump that connects in-line with the existing seastar power steering. I'm going to give one a try.

14. Member
    Mine is pretty bad as well, the dealer installed a spacer on the wheel and it rubs a tad on the blinker trim, at first I thought that was the reason for the torque, it does not bother me too much but would prefer it not have that much torque.

15. Member
    If the Sea star power assist is anything like the old Invisible Touch it will be a sweet upgrade , I had the Invisible Touch on my first Bullet it was the best driving boat I ever had you could steer with a finger , I was sour when it got discontinued on my next Bullet I got regular steering it felt like driving a car with broken power steering. I might look into upgrading to power
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO