Smith Mountain Lake Launch Ramp

First time fishing a tournament at Smith Mountain. Tournament is out of Parkway Marina. Any suggestions on where to launch? Appreciate the help!!

Why not Parkway?
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiberdude View Post
    First time fishing a tournament at Smith Mountain. Tournament is out of Parkway Marina. Any suggestions on where to launch? Appreciate the help!!
    If for some reason you are averse to using Parkway Marina you could launch at the State Park ramp (pretty big parking area) or at the Scruggs #8 Boat Ramp (one lane, 22 parking spaces). There are other private ramps such as Crazy Horse Marina. Good luck with your fishing, a lot of big bags have been caught the past few weeks.

I assume you're talking about the BFL this weekend out of Parkway? The ramp isn't the most accommodating for large tournaments, but there is plenty of parking and a good venue sight which I assume is why they use Parkway. I'll be there but will drive over by boat.

As mentioned above, you can put in at the State Park just up the road which will probably be your closest ramp to Parkway, but other than that the rest of them are a pretty good ways away. I would just launch at Parkway myself.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

5. Member
    Thanks for all the info! Appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Meadows View Post
    I assume you're talking about the BFL this weekend out of Parkway? The ramp isn't the most accommodating for large tournaments, but there is plenty of parking and a good venue sight which I assume is why they use Parkway. I'll be there but will drive over by boat.

As mentioned above, you can put in at the State Park just up the road which will probably be your closest ramp to Parkway, but other than that the rest of them are a pretty good ways away. I would just launch at Parkway myself.
    Is there a BFL this weekend? Is that why I had 8 boats fish past my place by 10 this morning?
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    Is there a BFL this weekend? Is that why I had 8 boats fish past my place by 10 this morning?
    Yes BFL this Saturday

Then I will be up early and off the water by 8 AM. I might even put out a sign on my dock that says "a six lber. used to live here but I ate it".

Fishing really should be good.

Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    Is that why I had 8 boats fish past my place by 10 this morning?
    Word travels very quickly about who has been catching fish, and winning tournaments. That might be why the steady stream of fishermen past your place.
    Be good buddy, see you next week at Falls.

Quote Originally Posted by Coke View Post
    Word travels very quickly about who has been catching fish, and winning tournaments. That might be why the steady stream of fishermen past your place.
    Be good buddy, see you next week at Falls.
    Today has been like the weirdest day. First of all, Friday afternoon and evening was surprisingly quiet so I went out about 7 pm and caught a nice striper on a Sammy that will make for a few dinners (didn't start the outboard). Then today I got up early and was fishing by 6:30 am in Beaverdam, figured I could get in an hour or so before the BFL anglers arrived. I returned to my dock just before 9 am and had not seen a single boat. I also did not catch anything. It finally got busy mid-day but then with a 3 pm weigh in everyone up in this end of the lake had bailed by 2 pm and I haven't seen a boat since then. Just weird for an average Wednesday to be more busy than a Saturday. Didn't see anyone catch anything today either but I was cutting grass and stuff. Definitely looking forward to Falls and trying a new lake and actually having some time to get to know some of the club members.