Mixing Old and New Reels In Your Arsenal

I’ve fished with the old Curado green 200 reels and then went to the 200e7 reels for a long time. Went all into saltwater fishing for a while and got back into bass fishing seriously about a year ago.

I picked up a few of the new Curado 200K reels. And I thought I would just mix in the few 200e7 reels I still have.

But the more I fish with the new Curado K reels the more I realize both reels have a very different feel to them and perform differently too. And I’ve generally liked to keep the majority of my reels consistent or the same.

Funny thing is I still haven’t found a 300 sized reel I like better than the Curado 300e!!!!

But for the 200’s, I think I got to accept the fact it’s time to move over to the K’s and just let the green e7’s go.

I can’t seem to cast worth anything with #10 fluoro on the new 200k reels though. I get a ton of backlashes unless it’s #12 or above. I guess I’ll just have to get a 150 sized reel or try a Daiwa Tatula for #10.

Just wondering if it’s the same for you guys.

2. Member
    Like you,I just can't seem to give up my E7's. I have started using Daiwa Tatula's on a regular basis but every now and then I'll throw one of the E7's back on a rod and fish it for a while.They are defiantly 2 diffrent feeling and performing reels and I'm good with that.
    Try the newer version Tatula SV TW 103'S. You should be fine with #10 fluoro.
    Last edited by jiggerjake; 04-05-2021 at 05:11 PM.

3. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I'm a Daiwa fan boy but there is no way am I giving up or not using my two E7's or my 50E.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

4. Member
    I think I’m going to do exactly that and try a Tatula sv TW 103. Does this reel really cast as far as the regular Tatula reels? I’ve seen some comments that seem to say the Tatula elite reels cast the best followed by the regular Tatula reels and then the SV models?

5. Member
    I only have 100H models and Sv TW103’s . The SV’s far outperform the H models but they are also $70 dollars more as well. The 100h are absolutely fine for spinner baits, Chatter baits, traps and other heavier chunk and wind stuff. I love the SV’s for pitching jigs, t rigs , weightless senko’s,square bills and other smaller crank baits.

6. Member
    I have a number of older reels and still use them all the time. They are heavier and not quite as refined but they work fine and I am very comfortable with them. The fish don't know if you're using a Zebco 33 or a Daiwa Steez.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5-20 View Post
    I think I’m going to do exactly that and try a Tatula sv TW 103. Does this reel really cast as far as the regular Tatula reels? I’ve seen some comments that seem to say the Tatula elite reels cast the best followed by the regular Tatula reels and then the SV models?
    I feel I get good distance with my Tat SV, but have never compared its distance against a regular Tat. However, I personally feel the SV spool has to hurt distance some. One thing I've learned over the years is that nothing is free.

8. Member
    Thanks all. I ended up picking a Tatula Elite 100h in 6.3 from my local tackle shop this afternoon. It’s actually the reel I’ve wanted to try for some time. Will put #10 fluoro on it and use it for jerkbaits, small to med cranks and finesse plastics mostly for now.

This is the first non-Shimano bait caster I’ve bought for bass in probably over 20+ years. Let’s see how it works out!

9. Member
    I use both newer reels and older. I love my Zillion TWS SV and my Steez, but won't get rid of my Curado 201E or 51E. And I would be lost without my Pixies and my TD-Zs.

10. Member
    I have transitioned to all Daiwa for casting but have held onto three Shimano 200 E's that I will not get rid of
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

11. Member
    This Tatula elite is smooth. But I’m still trying to dial the reel in. I think I have had the brakes between 4 and 6. #10 fluoro definitely can be finicky on a casting reel but with a reel this small I thought I would immediately cast it with confidence. Hmm!