Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Toyota how much off MSRP

Looking at a Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD for my daily commuter ride to work. What would be realistic markdown off the door MSRP. Couple that I looked at are around $44,000 If they would get down around 39 or 40 I might actually talk to a salesman. I just don't like playing there back and forth games and wasting 3-4 hrs for what they could say upfront.
    Last edited by bass.man65; 04-05-2021 at 12:26 PM.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

2. Member
    Right now not much at all. They are selling like hot cakes and most dealers can't keep them on the lot.

3. Member
    My last two Tundras (17 & 20) I got $4-4.5k off of MSRP and felt good on both deals. Not sure how things are now though. I was there a couple of weeks ago and they only had 3 in stock and said they've been selling average of 600 vehicles per month for several months and March looked like it was going to be 1,000.

Before I purchased my Ford Ranger I tried to buy a Taco. There wouldn't budge on the price much at all.

5. Member
    Good luck on Toyota.. they don't budge much if any at all.

6. Member
    Not much back and forth gaming going on right now. Certain vehicles are selling above msrp.
    Now would be a good time to be a gap insurance salesman. LoL

7. BBC SPONSOR
    My local dealer has 6 tundras in allocation right now, zero on the lot. I don’t see any Toyota dealers making deals due to sitting on them.
    www.bassboatelectronics.com

2008 Bullet 21XRD
    2014 Merc 250 Pro XS

Knoxville, TN

8. Member
    GF works for San Antonio Auto Auction. Last week was their single largest sale ever one day auction. They are well over 1000 units a month right now. Used trucks are like gold and impossible to get at "real world" pricing anymore.

Agree with the above. They won't come off it much, if at all. There may be some wiggle room on a trade, but even then they're not going to mess around too much knowing the next guy that walks in will buy it.

For what it's worth, looking at prices on AutoTrader and CarsDirect is a really great way to see how far down they're willing to come, or if nothing else, where to go to get the price you need to make it work for you. They know they're competing there, so the prices on those sites are usually just about as far as they'll go. Expand the range out to 2-300 (or more) miles, find what you want for a fair price, and either use it as leverage, or if that doesn't work, go get it. I saved $6k on my Tundra vs a local one, and got the color I really wanted in the process (white vs the local brown one) by driving 100 miles to get it. It was used, but I think the point still stands.

Look at BOTH sites, too. There's definitely a lot of overlap, but the last two vehicles I bought were on one but not the other. You find gems by keeping an eye on both.

Of course approaching the whole process being willing to wait for the right deal and/or to walk away if a deal isn't right for you makes a HUGE difference.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

10. Member
    My last tundra (2016) I got 10% off. But market might be different now. They said on the high volume models they could do better on % off. It can’t hurt to go in, offer 12% under, and then walk if they won’t give you 8%.

11. Member
    It really depends on the market currently. I purchased a Tundra '19 trd 4x4 sport exactly 2 years ago and got 11.5% off with msrp of $47.3k. I helped 2 friends with their '19 4runner purchases at the same time as mine and we got right around 10% off. Like I mentioned before, it all depends on the market at the time of purchase.
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    Mercury 250 Proxs 4 stroke

I might be able to hook you up with a deal on a great used one, only has 10k miles on it and in the shop again for a fuel pump. It belongs to my fil and he's not happy right now lol. Btw, when he bought it they wouldn't budge on sticker price.

13. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    We just bought another Tundra last week ('21 Double Cab TRD)... They came off the sticker $1K to $44,500.
    Who controls John Gill?

14. Member
    Fred Anderson in South Carolina. Have done me well with my Tundra and my wife went and bought a highlander Tuesday and was $5900 of msrp. Heck I took my Tundra in for oil change 25k and they offered me $500 less than what I paid for it and it is a 2018

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by g-string View Post
    Fred Anderson in South Carolina. Have done me well with my Tundra and my wife went and bought a highlander Tuesday and was $5900 of msrp. Heck I took my Tundra in for oil change 25k and they offered me $500 less than what I paid for it and it is a 2018

Did you take the deal?

16. Member
    In this market you will not get 3-4k off. It's just not happening.

17. Member
    No, almost did it. But I would have to have came up with another $10,000 for a new. I bought my truck cash. And wasn’t going to have to cough up that money for the same truck.

Just wait 6 months and when the economy crashes you will get a great deal.

19. Member
    Not much if any. May get some accessories throw in if your lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by bass.man65 View Post
    Looking at a Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD for my daily commuter ride to work. What would be realistic markdown off the door MSRP. Couple that I looked at are around $44,000 If they would get down around 39 or 40 I might actually talk to a salesman. I just don't like playing there back and forth games and wasting 3-4 hrs for what they could say upfront.
    Don't think of it as wasting 3-4 hrs. Think of it as saving $1000 an hour.
    Some things that work-
    If you have a trade, figure out what you should get. When you get there, tell them to go ahead and appraise while look at new ones. Don't say anything if it comes in lower (save that till later).
    Figure what payments are for different lengths for the amount you want to spend. When it comes up. Tell them you don't want to or won't do a loan for over that many years.
    Have a down payment limit also. Tell them you have cash to add (But tell them lower amount than you have).
    When they set down and show you numbers, tell them that's not where you need to be. Now you can ask that they give you more for your trade. They always do that for me (I get a new Tundra every 3 to 5 years).
    Then tell them that's better but still not there. Tell then you will put more cash in if they come down more. If you had 2000 and told them 1000, add 500 more at this time. You can do this twice.
    Last thing is to tell them to search for a lower interest rate for you because what they offered is higher than you deserve. Thats what works for me.
    Do every thing as friendly as possible.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast