Thinking of throwing a buzz bait this spring

Are they somewhat weedless like a spinnerbait? I don’t topwater much up here but hoping I can pull up some spring bass.
    I like Big Bass, I cannot lie

2. Member
    Yes, more weedless than a spinnerbait as they run along the su0rface.
    Make sure to square up the rivet behind the blade and pinch it in place with pliers, then put in front of a fan for a few hours, until it squeals like a stuck pig. The squeal makes a lot of them bite. Y9u might also have to square up the blade tab that rides the rivet.

I like to bend the blade down so that it clacks off the head. Clack-clack-clack--BOOM!

There's no better way to cover water on the planet than with a buzzbait. I agree with a little bit of work to get them to squeal, but I usually just hang mine out the window on the highway for a mile or two to accomplish that. They come through cover really well, and anytime you can bump into something during your retrieve you up your chances for a bite exponentially.

I picked up a tip from Tactical Bassin a couple years back regarding improving performance and hook-up percentage that works great unless you're using a variety that requires the blade to be positioned in a specific spot. Essentially most buzzbaits have too much wire in the section where the blade is attached. Removing the rivet and trimming down that wire so that, when reinstalled, the blade takes up the entire length of wire between the bend and rivet (making sure not to cut it too close so as to inhibit the blade from turning freely) makes a big difference. It improves the sound as it ensures the blade is contacting the rivet constantly to get that squeal, and having as little wire as possible hanging over your hook improves the chances that a fish connects with the hook instead of sliding over it.

But no matter what you do, definitely hang it out the window or put it in front of a fan or something along those lines to loosen things up and get that squeal you want. Once you've done it and compare it to a new bait, you'll notice how much freer the "broken in" bait spins, and how much different it sounds.

I've never gotten into the head clackers. I think it's just my impatience to learn a different type of buzzbait. It's probably something I should explore moving forward!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

5. Member
    Ok, makes sense. I’ll try the window method. Thank you all, this will be a new technique for me.
    I like Big Bass, I cannot lie

6. Member
    Willie, some great info there from drew. Buzzbaits might be the most overlooked bait out there. if I was told to use just one model it would be a 1\4 oz cavitron. Buzzbait saved the day a few times in tough hot weather. Just casting as much as possible in any shade spots under trees etc. Caught a lot of smallmouth on them also.
    I got many Buzzbaits will, if you need any, PM me and I'll send you some.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

7. Member
    Also, a buzzbait is usually a light switch bait. It's either on, or off. You can have days of 30+ bass on a buzzbait when they won't touch anything else, and days when they won't touch one.
    Cavitron makes a great looking buzzbait, but I lose way too many fish on them. I think it's because the wire is too long. I like free swinging hook buzzbaits like the sugarbuzz. I build my own now with free swinging hooks. I get a higher hookup ratio and rarely lose one.
    Depending on local pressure, many times a buzzbait will catch more on the nothing looking banks between the good looking areas, and it's a great bait for covering water. Hard to beat when the bass are scattered.

8. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    As always Drew gives the best advice. I like to have w tied on; one with a skirt and one with a 3.75” swimbait in place of the skirt. I agree though, it’s hit or miss. If they’re hitting the buzzbait they’re going to smash it!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV