Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rainshadow Eternity Blanks

For those in the know, why did Rainshadow stop making the Eternity blanks? I found a MH and H, 7-2", models with retail price of just over $190. I've read some really good things about the blanks, but wasn't sure I wanted to spend that much on them with other top notch options from Point Blank or NFC.

2018 LEGEND 211R | 250 MERC PROXS

2. Member
    Back this summer.

3. Member
    Looks like maybe new blanks? RX10?

4. Member
    I used some of all of them. In all truth RX10 means nothing, a few things to remember, there is no such things as RX 10, you can't look it up to find up what it is, and a larger number doesn't mean it's higher modulus, lighter, etc. IM9 for instance is not higher modulus than IM8, it is actually lower. You see IM 10 thrown around, Hexcel never made an IM 10, it's just sales speak.
    If I was looking at this price point and needed advise, I'd use a Point Blank, great blank, much more willing to pass on knowledge you can use from a much more diverse knowledge base. If I were looking outside the bass/ light inshore market I would have a different opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

5. Member
    The Eternity blanks were discontinued because they had moved production to the United States so they could keep closer tabs on quality control. Evidently quality wasn't up to their standards (Batson Enterprises's standards), so they stopped the production of the blanks. It was the same with the Testament line of blanks that were to take the place of the Eternity blanks. Produced in the United States, and they weren't up to standards quality wise. There were rumors that they were being built by a well known US blank producer, but I don't know that for sure, so I won't mention the name of the company that was supposedly building them.

It's true, RX 10 is sales, just like the RX9 that the Eternity blanks were built on, and the RX8 that the Immortal blanks are built on. That doesn't mean it means nothing. Rainshadow blanks are awesome blanks, and Batson Enterprises is top notch stuff. So it's not like they are trying to pull the wool over your eyes. Anyhow ..... as far as the Eternity blanks you found, they are awesome blanks. If you were looking for a blank to compare them to, think NFC HM.

They only reason I would think about purchasing the Eternity blanks you found is IF you had a warranty claim, you aren't going to get the same blank back as a replacement because they haven't been making them for probably a year and a half, if memory serves me correctly. So that is something to consider. The Immortal blanks from Rainshadow are awesome blanks as well. I would say performance is about what a GLX is, or extremely close to that. They're painted a titanium chrome color, and while it's a gorgeous color, painted blanks aren't everyone's cup of tea. Batson is an outstanding company and IF you had a warranty claim they will take care of you and make sure you are satisfied.

If you've read anything on here about ALX's customer service, Batson is right there with them. Outstanding customer service.

And yes Batson is coming out with a new RX 10 blank this year. RX 10 just means there is something different about it. My guess is it's probably going to be a high modulus scrimless blank with some kind of special resin. In other words, probably just like the X Ray blanks. But that's just a guess.

6. Member
    I believe ALX is Hydra blanks, good luck getting one, their site shows very little left. The pandemic has affected production and supplies. Lamiglas and others, the same thing. Places where people followed the necessary protocols are back in business so much faster than us.

7. Member
    Thanks for the feedback, I certainly understand RX10 is mostly an indicator of Rainshadow's newest highest end blank... marketing and not an indicator of materials/processes used in construction. I'll probably pass on the blank(s)... they have a few of the Immortal blanks as well and if they are GLX level, that would be hard to pass for the price.

8. Member
    You'll love the Immortal blanks. You said one of the Eternity's you had found was a 7'2" MH, I can tell you that the Immortal IMMC72MH is one awesome blank. Gobs of power with awesome sensitivity. It fishes to it's specs and maybe even slightly above. So if you're looking for your normal medium heavy power 1/4 - 3/4 oz weights, the IMMC72MH is much more powerful than that. 95% of the time I use the rod I have built on it for flipping and pitching in and around heavy cover. I've never felt under powered using it, regardless of the cover I'm fishing. I also use it for hollow bodied frogs over matted vegetation, and it seems some duty dragging 1/2 oz football jigs out in deeper water.

If it isn't my favorite rod, it's awfully darn close.

9. Member
    We have known for a long time what RX8 is, the reason we don't hear the info anymore is so many people were hanging their hats and purchasing solely on that info, big, huge mistake on their part and as a manufacturer you have really no way of mitigating it. The Testament blanks were RX8 and since it has been around so long and used by many, close to 20 years, I can't imagine knowledge in it's use alone was the problem, yet they are also gone and they still make Eternity 2 fly blanks.

10. Member
    I tried to get a quote on a Testament blank from Utmost Enterprises back when they were supposedly available. At the time I was told they couldn't get them. While Utmost isn't directly tied to Batson Enterprises, Utmost is right down the street from Batson, and is owned by one of the Batson family members. About a month later, Batson released a statement that the Testament blanks were no longer going to be produced. The reason was two fold. The blanks weren't meeting Batson's quality standards, and they (the US company building them) wasn't able to meet production. I actually wonder if any of the Testaments ever made it into the hands of builders?

I called Batson to ask about the Testament blanks prior to their release that they were ceasing production. From what that person told me, that yes, the Testaments were RX8, just like the Immortal blanks are. They had a natural graphite finish and they changed the balance on the blanks a bit. Also, I was also told that like the Eternity blanks, they were a little lighter powered than the Immortal blank of the same model. As I mentioned above, the Immortal blanks fish to specs and maybe a touch heavier. I've only built on one Eternity blank, and while it was and is an awesome blank, it was definitely less powerful than what the specs lead me to believe it would be.

I really wish blank manufacturers would post CCS numbers for the blanks they build. CCS is a great way of judging how powerful and what kind of action the blank has. And while the simple version of CCS doesn't tell the whole story about how a blank will perform, it's a WHOLE lot better than the way it is now. To my knowledge the only two blank manufacturers that supply CCS data on their blanks is Point Blank, and Pac Bay. Once familiar with it, it really is helpful.

11. Goby King
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassbme View Post
    I've only built on one Eternity blank, and while it was and is an awesome blank, it was definitely less powerful than what the specs lead me to believe it would be.

I was seriously disappointed in the power of the Eternity I built. No exaggeration, it's at least 2 powers lighter than advertised.

Quote Originally Posted by shfishinsticks View Post
    I was seriously disappointed in the power of the Eternity I built. No exaggeration, it's at least 2 powers lighter than advertised.
    I had the same but has been a great rod anyway luckily.

13. Goby King
    Quote Originally Posted by basscatcher89 View Post
    I had the same but has been a great rod anyway luckily.
    Mine is nice too. Built it super light, it only weighs 2.79 oz. When you buy a medium power that's rated to 1/2oz and you get a light that feels overloaded with 3/8oz, it's not exactly a win. It's identical in power to my NFC DS610 IM, which is also too light for a DS rod.

14. Member
    Back in the day when dropshotting was developed that weight rod was exactly what you wanted, same with finesse techniques. Pretty soon the words don't mean anything anymore.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shfishinsticks View Post
    Mine is nice too. Built it super light, it only weighs 2.79 oz. When you buy a medium power that's rated to 1/2oz and you get a light that feels overloaded with 3/8oz, it's not exactly a win. It's identical in power to my NFC DS610 IM, which is also too light for a DS rod.
    I'm certain we are talking about the same Eternity blank, the ETES610MXF. I too built a rod on the NFC 6107 IM blank and while I wish the NFC blank had a little more power than it does, I would say it fishes to its' specs. After all it's rated for 4 - 8# line so I expected it to be a light power rod. I usually fish a drop shot close to the boat, so it works pretty well for me in up to about 20' of water.

I did CCS IP tests on both the NFC blank and the Eternity blank. The Eternity 610MXF tested 30 grams less powerful than the NFC 6107 IM. That's a pretty considerable amount for blanks in that power range. And was really surprising when you consider the Eternity blank was rated for 3/16 - 1/2 oz weights and 6 - 14# line. I never weighed mine, but I built it with a KR concept guide train using Fuji T2 titanium guides with the slim SIC rings. I have a full length 10" CFX rear grip on it with a skeleton reel seat with a woven graphite insert. It is a really sweet rod that I rarely use. Although I will say I used it for a Ned rig a couple times last year, and it works well for those.

16. Goby King
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassbme View Post
    I'm certain we are talking about the same Eternity blank, the ETES610MXF. I too built a rod on the NFC 6107 IM blank and while I wish the NFC blank had a little more power than it does, I would say it fishes to its' specs. After all it's rated for 4 - 8# line so I expected it to be a light power rod.
    Yea, the NFC is as advertised. The Eternity MXF shouldn't be lighter powered than a mag-light. It's a great panfish rod, but not exactly optimal for dropping 1/2oz in 50'+

17. Member
    I have three of the eternity blanks. 2 of the 72 MH and I think the 72m I built as a spinning rod. Love these rods.

That being said their replacement needs to be spectacular. Point blank and NFC have become my go to brands since the eternity isn't available. Hard to beat NFC for the sale prices they offer too.

18. BBC SPONSOR
    Hi All,
    Just wanted to chime in to add a little clarity on the RX10, 9, 8, etc... These are series name add-ons that are intended to describe the approximate material makeup. They're not guaranteed to align with any other material description (IM, GLX, etc.) Most of our graphite series are a blend of different modulus graphite material. In general, the higher the RX number, the more high mod material is used. In the case of the new Eternity RX10's coming soon, they do have a bunch of high mod material in them and are certainly one of those Ferrari-type blanks (we're pretty proud.) That said, they don't contain much more high modulus material than the previous Eternity RX9 freshwater blanks. We just want to be crystal clear that the new Eternities are not the same design, same manufacturer, or same pricing as the preceding series. And RX10 just sounds cool, guilty as charged on the marketing.
    Regarding the comments about power ratings, we just can't win there I'm afraid. Folks most often tell us that the Eternities were true to rating and the Revelation and Immortals were heavier than rated, which is contrary to the comments above. I'll see if we can't get some CCS numbers published in the future, at least for new series as they're released.
    The Best Fishing Rods Start Here: www.BatsonEnterprises.com - www.youtube.com/batsonenterprises - Instagram: @teamrainshadow - Facebook: Batson Enterprises

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Batson-Brands View Post
    Hi All,
    Just wanted to chime in to add a little clarity on the RX10, 9, 8, etc... These are series name add-ons that are intended to describe the approximate material makeup. They're not guaranteed to align with any other material description (IM, GLX, etc.) Most of our graphite series are a blend of different modulus graphite material. In general, the higher the RX number, the more high mod material is used. In the case of the new Eternity RX10's coming soon, they do have a bunch of high mod material in them and are certainly one of those Ferrari-type blanks (we're pretty proud.) That said, they don't contain much more high modulus material than the previous Eternity RX9 freshwater blanks. We just want to be crystal clear that the new Eternities are not the same design, same manufacturer, or same pricing as the preceding series. And RX10 just sounds cool, guilty as charged on the marketing.
    Regarding the comments about power ratings, we just can't win there I'm afraid. Folks most often tell us that the Eternities were true to rating and the Revelation and Immortals were heavier than rated, which is contrary to the comments above. I'll see if we can't get some CCS numbers published in the future, at least for new series as they're released.
    Greatly appreciate you stepping in and providing some insights. Good information and will be interesting to see the new lineup of RX10's. I've build one rod on the Revelation and I agree it fishes heavier than rated. The Immortals, at least the MH I held, felt like it would fish heaver than rating.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Batson-Brands View Post
    Hi All,

I too appreciate you stepping in. I hope it showed that I am a huge fan of Rainshadow blanks, because I certainly am. When I mentioned that the Immortals fished to their specs, or slightly above, I was referring to their weight ratings, not their named powers. The IMMC72MH is medium heavy power in name, but the 3/8 - 1 oz weight rating puts it in the heavy power category of most factory rods as well as other blank manufacturers I've seen. I am happy to say that I was glad it fishes as it does, because it is one bad mammy jammy of a blank for fishing in and around heavy cover for bass.

As far as CCS numbers for the upcoming new Eternity line of blanks goes ...... that would be awesome !!! CCS numbers would go a long way in helping those familiar with what the numbers mean, in choosing a blank for themselves or their customers.

And just a dream scenario goes ..... I was excited about the Testament blanks at the time because I was told they were in line performance wise, with the Immortal line of blanks. Other than the awesome performance of the Immortal series, I was really excited in being able to get it in a natural graphite finish. I love the color of the Immortal series but my dream scenario for the Immortal series would be being able to choose between a painted, and a natural finish. So I figured I'd ask?

Any chance of that in the future?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast