Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Ugh. That does make it more challenging.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2. Member
    Its idling fine in the water even in gear its when ya just put a lil pressure on the hot foot its starts gurgling then dies it restarts fine..... BTW when this thing years ago started doing this I took it to the dealer and they couldn't figure it out either to a tune of 400 bux.....
    1986 Glasstream 150 XR2,SN OA933978, 24p Trophy Plus,"no jackplate" NO idle stabilizer until 04/13/21 put it back on UPDATE took it back off and use new S&L settings

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Interesting... that's a good detail to have.

Have you had the carbs apart and noted the jet sizes at any point?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    you need to check bleed restrictors in that mtr they were bad about sticking back then also im talkin bout pull um out and blow through um make sure they are workin right not stuck chuck
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    It been a long time since I got back to this boat a lot of things going on anyway All above have been done the jets haven't been messed with since I purchased the boat new All the carbs been R&R'd the bleed restrictors and hoses have all been replaced.... anyway I started messing with again and noticed the carb linkage is cracked all three area's where it bolts to the carb I don't know if this is the problem or not but I finally found one on e bay and it was wrong for a later mercury searched and search and finally found one at the tune of 70 bux but hey I need it it will be here Tuesday So maybe that was my problem all a long?? slipping on throttle up who knows .....
    1986 Glasstream 150 XR2,SN OA933978, 24p Trophy Plus,"no jackplate" NO idle stabilizer until 04/13/21 put it back on UPDATE took it back off and use new S&L settings

6. Member
    crank mtr let it warm up and remove linkages from carbs for a test - restart , very well could be your problem
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    linkage came in today Ill try installing and S&L Tuesday...

8. Member
    So I got the linkage on I S&S it and with advise from a "old school guy" I removed the Idle stabilizer again....set Idle timing and WOT timing per man ual.... same story in N 1100-1200 in water in gear 900-1000 rpm... so I took his advise and S&S his way Which is time it for best rpm at N and set the gap on Idle stop to 3/16 to 1/4 instead of 1/8 per manual, so when your in N it idles now at 850-900 at 8*ATDC advanced and when you put in gear it now idles at 650-700 In the water , So when the carbs engage it will give me added advance timing of 4* BTDC no flat spot upon reving..... WOT timing set at 23* BTDC .... So now I have to do actual lake time see if the hole shot is better....
    Last edited by Phunahm; 04-24-2022 at 08:34 AM.

9. Member
    FWIW I change the bulb again a Quick Silver bulb I cut the old bulb out and there was like dried clay looking stuff around the barbs so I looked further and the inner liner is completly plugging both ends of the bulb Bare in mind I put new EPA lines on it a year ago This IS such BS SO I had some very expensive rubber Fuel Injection Hose laying around Im going to use that screw the Gray marine grade crap..... Hope this is the problem...... Also the Tank is clean and a new filter was put on.....

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phunahm View Post
    FWIW I change the bulb again a Quick Silver bulb I cut the old bulb out and there was like dried clay looking stuff around the barbs so I looked further and the inner liner is completly plugging both ends of the bulb Bare in mind I put new EPA lines on it a year ago This IS such BS SO I had some very expensive rubber Fuel Injection Hose laying around Im going to use that screw the Gray marine grade crap..... Hope this is the problem...... Also the Tank is clean and a new filter was put on.....
    Picture of the outside of that line would be great.

Did you heat the line ends before installing it onto barbs (ie: piping hot water in coffee cup, dip 2-3" into water for 20-30 seconds, shake off water and install line?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Picture of the outside of that line would be great.

Did you heat the line ends before installing it onto barbs (ie: piping hot water in coffee cup, dip 2-3" into water for 20-30 seconds, shake off water and install line?
    the previous hose was a kit this time was a separate QS bulb....Ill post a Picture

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Hmmmmn.

13. Member
    hose 1.pnghose2.png this what I found and when I cut the old bulb out both ends were totally plugged with the liner

14. Member
    does not appear to be quicksilver fuel line to me

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    does not appear to be quicksilver fuel line to me
    Me either....

16. Member
    never said the old line was QS the new bulb is QS I said " I changed the bulb again a Quick Silver bulb" I could have been clearer I meant to say to a QS bulb

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Thanks for clarifying that your rant was about some aftermarket line you had.

18. Member
    Update: Got the boat out today I loaded with all my gear and my fat behind...anyway she launch like a rocket so either my non manual settings did the trick or the new fuel bulb..... an other thing did pop up around 1/4 throttle on plane If I punch it it falls on its face I back off she up and goes...... anyway Thanks for all the suggestions guys....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12