Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Docks and water levels

I'm seeing water levels low pretty much every where on social media, and looks like Honeyoye has docks in, conesus does not yet, Sodus is unusable. Anywhere else?

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdwelding View Post
    I'm seeing water levels low pretty much every where on social media, and looks like Honeyoye has docks in, conesus does not yet, Sodus is unusable. Anywhere else?
    Pretty much the same everywhere, and as I started a different post, St Lawrence is very low as well.

Curious as to why so low? The St Lawrence has had record high levels the past few years. And my buddy has a lake house on Oneida, and he said that was real low two weeks ago. He was worried he wouldn't be able to put his docks in. He did say it came back up this past week though.
    1993 Champion 190
    1991 Evinrude Intruder 150

4. Member
    Oneida lake is controlled via lake Ontario, but lake Ontario waterway is controlled by the IJC, which is based on their contracts and kickbacks.
    I pray that they can see the error of their ways and do something soon.

5. Member
    I was at Keuka two weeks ago and the water level was fine. Docks are always in at Penn Yan.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    Oneida lake is controlled via lake Ontario, but lake Ontario waterway is controlled by the IJC, which is based on their contracts and kickbacks.
    I pray that they can see the error of their ways and do something soon.
    if water flows out of Oneida ... how is Ontario. Control it’s level...

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Murph44 View Post
    if water flows out of Oneida ... how is Ontario. Control it’s level...
    If far as I have been told, water flows into Oneida from Oswego and flows out of Oneida out of the canal at the east end. I know you live in Syracuse, so if you know different, I would love to be corrected so that I can learn the truth of the matter. Thank you Murph.

8. Member
    I have fished the 3 rivers area for yrs .. Seneca.. wish comes from Onondaga lakes and the fingers lake ..
    Oneida river .. wish comes from Oneida lake .. wish turns into Oswego river at that point flows north
    to Phoenix, Fulton.. right up to Ontario....
    water lows in from the east end..of Oneida.....

Oneida Lake - Wikipedia

en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Oneida_Lake

The lake is located northeast of Syracuse and near the Great Lakes. It feeds theOneida River, a tributary of the Oswego River, which flows into Lake Ontario. From the earliest times until the opening of the Erie Canal in 1825, the lake was part of an important waterway connecting the Atlantic seaboard of North America to the continental interior.
    Last edited by Murph44; 04-11-2021 at 04:11 AM.

Mercury Pro Team

250 Opti Max Pro XS

9. Member
    There you go, I learned something today, so I am wondering is there is some controlling mechanism in Oswego limiting the outflow, since I believe that a certain level of water needs to be maintained for it to be considered part of the Inland Navigational System.
    Local knowledge is a great thing.

10. Member
    The thing that always confused me is somewhere between Oneida Lake and Rome the canal changes direction. The lock in rome flows east to The Hudson. Oneida lake flows west to Lake Ontario.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    There you go, I learned something today, so I am wondering is there is some controlling mechanism in Oswego limiting the outflow, since I believe that a certain level of water needs to be maintained for it to be considered part of the Inland Navigational System.
    Local knowledge is a great thing.
    yes there are locks in Phoenix.. Fulton and couple in Oswego..

Mercury Pro Team

250 Opti Max Pro XS

12. Member
    [QUOTE=digthemup;11813752]There you go, I learned something today, so I am wondering is there is some controlling mechanism in Oswego limiting the outflow, since I believe that a certain level of water needs to be maintained for it to be considered part of the Inland Navigational System.
    Local knowledge is a great thing.[/east end of Oneida

.. you have French creek the runs in
    down there ..

Mercury Pro Team

250 Opti Max Pro XS

13. Member
    [QUOTE=ECobb91;11813771]The thing that always confused me is somewhere between Oneida Lake and Rome the canal changes direction. The lock in rome flows east to The Hudson. Oneida lake flows west to Lake Ontario.[

I’m thinking some where Utica area the direction flips ..

Mercury Pro Team

250 Opti Max Pro XS

14. Member
    Lots of rain in the past couple of days. I am praying that it will improve things a bit, but now my pond is overfilled so I can park my boat next to it to practice my flipping and pitching to my bass before feeding time.
    They love their Purina fish food.

15. Member
    We had record low snow fall this season. It’s been a fairly dry spring also. I bet that has a lot to do with lower lake levels.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Howard View Post
    We had record low snow fall this season. It’s been a fairly dry spring also. I bet that has a lot to do with lower lake levels.
    Reckon it could be 'global warming' since that is the buzz word for everything this days at the court of social media. Even heard say that the big freeze they had down South was due to global warming. We got 2" of rain according to the Rochester airport, so I pray that it helps a little, but so far things still look skinny.

17. Member
    Good news and bad news, and the bad news it is snowing out on April 21 with 3" on the ground though I was mowing in T top 2 days ago.

The good news, more water throughout the great lakes to bring things up some, and IJC had acknowledged that lake Ontario level is at near critical low level, so they are going to cut back on the outflow to normalize levels. They are going to monitor conditions and the information on the hydrologic conditions and water level, and outflows, including graphics and photos will be available at:
    https://www.ijc.org/en/loslrb and also posted on their Facebook page.

18. Member
    I went to Waneta/Lamoka on Wednesday and the water is actually above normal.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

19. Member
    I took a ride to Sodus yesterday to check out the launches. I have never seen the water this low in spring- it looks like late fall levels. In my opinion, the town launch is unusable unless you want to risk damaging your trailer or prop. The guy in the Bay Bridge shop said people have been launching at their ramp, but it appears to be several feet below normal levels. Has anyone successfully launched at Sodus yet?

I have had the boat out on Honeoye, and the lake level there actually seems a bit higher than normal.

20. Member
    Z7mike
    you are sound what I have been hearing from other, that the littler lakes are nice and full, but the Big Girl is a tad on the low side. I have property that abuts to Braddocks Bay, and the waterline seems to have pulled way back. I haven't stopped to check the launches, but the 1 on Manitou Rd seem every bit low.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast