Tin Boat Comparison s

I used to have a 2004 G3 185FS which treated me well. I got out of it and went to a glass bass boat which I love, however, I am looking to sell it at the end of the season and go back to tin - why? I do not compete as much as I used to and will be fishing mostly upstate NY - St. Lawrence and Lake Ontario. Want something that’s cheaper to maintain, can take up to 6 people and safe w/ higher gunwales. The big 4 I’m considering are Alumacraft, Crestliner, G3 and Lund. Looking to be in the 18’ 6” to 19’ 6” and use it mostly for fishing - bass primarily. All things considered - price, quality, handling in big water, etc., what would be recommended out of these 4 brands? Looking to go used - no earlier than 2018. I have looked at Crestliner Fish Hawk and Bass Hawk but prefer Fish Hawk for reasons stated above. Also, looked at Lund Angler? Which was impressive with the fold-down rear platform. Any opinions appreciated - thanks!

2. Banned
    1. Lund- quality far above the other 3, priciest as well.
    2 & 3. Crestliner- Alumacrat equal quality IMO, comes down to rivets or welds.
    4. G3 budget brand of the bunch.

Lund is the best quality but they are really expensive. The issue with used is the warranty. Buy new and many have a lifetime warranty to the original owner on exterior welds, interior ribs, transom, etc...

4. Member
    Mostly bass fishing, 4-6 people, high rails and good on rough water, your gonna have to compromise somewhere because there isn't a style of boat that is best suited to do all of those things.
    Last edited by bassfisher444; 04-04-2021 at 05:14 PM.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Mostly bass fishing, 4-6 people, high rails and good on rough water, your gonna have to compromise somewhere because there isn't a style of boat that is best suited to do all of thos things.
    You get 4 people swinging 7-8 foot rods and I can't think of a bass boat that would be comfortable.

6. Member
    I should have clarified - no more than 4 people fishing and that itself would be rare. Usually no more than 2 - 3 fishing at a time. Need the 6 person capacity to take family/friends but it wouldn’t be fishing at that point - just a ride on the river. I know we want a deep-v as we had one before. Talk to the sales people and their brand is the best - just trying to get an objective opinion. I appreciate the feedback this far!

7. Banned
    A lund pro-v is the perfect boat, nothing performs better, IMO. But you better get your wallet out.

8. Member
    In my experience, the lund IPS hull performs better in 1.5+ waves while the crestliner fishhawk hull does better in smaller waves. What I mean is the crestliner is "smoother" in chop and short waves while the IPS hull is smoother as the waves get bigger. Once you get into that 3 foot walleye chop both boats will be slow and bumpy (depending on wavelength).

Each manufacturer has a different point at which the spray moves away from the boat so how you take waves does change based on wind. I used to fish a lot of muskie every year out of both hulls up in leech lake and you really cant go wrong with either, it really comes down to layout. I find that the Fishhawk feels bigger than some of the Lunds just due to the funnal layout. My fathers IPS hull Lund has a side rod locker which makes it feel like a smaller boat inside the gunnels compared to my fishhawk.

You will be able to fish 3 easy in either boat. You will be limited by sidearm casts and roll casts but beating banks and weed edges is comfortable even in a 17.5 footer.

I think the Lund Impact is closes to the fishhawk last I looked.

9. Member
    I sold my Champion 19.5 bass boat a year ago and got a Lund Pro V 1875. love the boat handles awesome in 3-5ft water with no trouble at all.has enough storage to fill a garage even has 9ft rod lockers in center. love that the trolling motor batteries are under rod locker up front. everything seems well planned and could not be happier..
    jerrysroadservice@gmail.com
    2017 Lund Pro V Bass 1875

10. Member
    The Lund Pro-V is nice for sure and the fact that it has plenty of storage and handles well are pluses. Now, if we can only get the price within reason...

11. Banned
    Alumacraft Competitor 185

12. Banned
    I looked at lund pro v what drove me away was no dry storage. Every person you ask online says it is absolutely not dry. Pretty unacceptable especially these days

13. Member
    I have a 2002 Fish awk 1850, bought new. Wife and I fish for everything from panfish to musky. This boat is the best compromise of ride versus fish ability. It has never been back to the dealership for anything.

14. Member
    Lund builds a nice “bass” aluminum(not much cheaper than glass) but I live in Lund country and fish in a lot of aluminum deep v boats and I’ve never been impressed by the perceived “high quality”. If you want an aluminum bass boat Lund, Xpress, and Vexus have the nicest layout and build. If you’re open to more of a V hull I think Alumacraft makes one of the best.
    Lots of options, I would stay away from crestliner.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

I'd take a look at Ranger 1882VS just for jollies. Plenty of room for 6 with the flip up jump seats, lots of storage, and, if it's anything like my 1782 VS, it handles big water with ease. No doubt Lund is the top line brand, just too costly for my taste.
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman90 View Post
    I looked at lund pro v what drove me away was no dry storage. Every person you ask online says it is absolutely not dry. Pretty unacceptable especially these days
    Tons of dry storage in the pro-v...... Front boxes have the raised aluminum channel with piped drains in the corners, foam seal on top of box.

17. Member
    The XS ProV Bass has dry front storage, but the
    rear compartments will all get wet. Why any boat mfg
    would build storage compartments and make no attempt
    to kept them dry is crazy, in particular the price that
    Lund charges for a boat. This is of no consequence to
    me, because I have no intentions of fishing in the rain.
    but it would be nice if I accidently got caught in a cloud burst.
    LDS
    Last edited by Great Scott; 04-10-2021 at 06:12 AM.
    Larry D. Scott Retired KY Water patrol/F&W
    www.greatscottshooters.com

2008 TRACKER TV 18 w/150 Mercury 4S
    MK Ultrex 80lb, 102 Garmin Live scope
    and a UHD93SV Garmin on the bow.
    UHD 93SV at the console.

I don't know anything about them, but maybe you should add a Vexus to your list. They look very interesting.
    The best way to cheer yourself up is to cheer up someone else.

Lund Pro V Bass is the only boat other than the Crestliner FishHawk that has the raised bass boat casting deck with a deep V hull and seating for four. If you speak with Pro V owners, they love them. But Lund knows this and charges a small fortune for them. So why not buy used? Simple...warranty. Lund gives a lifetime limited hull warranty to the first owner only...as do most. Yes, they have a weak pro rated transferable warranty to the second owner but it’s not much. Lund’s warranty is not as strong as a Ranger. Ranger gives a lifetime warranty on internal, transom and external hull components...not just the main seams like Lund. Crestliner likes to send parts vs replacing the boat. Look up the warranty issues people are having with Crestliner. So why not buy a Ranger? Because they don’t have a deep V model with a raised bass boat style casting deck. Understand Lund is not taking any more 2021 orders for most models as they have reached capacity. That means if you want one you have to find it on a dealer lot...and they will want 60k or more. But hey, first world problems right.

https://fb.watch/4Y72Effyix/
    Last edited by j791; 04-18-2021 at 11:48 AM.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captian Morgan View Post
    I have a 2002 Fish awk 1850, bought new. Wife and I fish for everything from panfish to musky. This boat is the best compromise of ride versus fish ability. It has never been back to the dealership for anything.
    I have an '03 Fisher Pro Hawk 180 and my experience has been identical. I just finished a complete renovation of mine as, IMOP, it's as good as anything manufactured today. It's a deep V so it handles rough water like a champ. After 18 years of constant use not a single cracked weld, etc. I even reused every single piece of decking as, once I stripped the old carpet off, they were pristine.

IF you enjoy a good project I'd find an old Pro Hawk, Tournament V18 (essentially the exact same boat), or something similar and renovate it (IF it needs it). Set it up exactly like you want it....TM, electronics etc. You'll save a TON of $$$ and have a boat that's comparable to anything it's size manufactured today. I just fished 3 days in a newer 18'+ Crestliner and I wouldn't consider, for a SINGLE second, trading mine for it....and the Crestliner is a nice boat.
    Last edited by Slicefixer; 04-19-2021 at 05:57 AM.