New mega 360 images

Hey folks,

I joined because of all the sonar interpretation and advice here. I do fish bass, but target a lot of other species as well. Bought a helix 10 a year ago and decided to update my sonar on the front of the boat this spring with a helix 9 and mega 360. I've finally gotten an opportunity to get out and give the new mega 360 a try, and so far I am really enjoying it. I'm running a deep V with the universal mount and was concerned with all the posts regarding interference issues when I installed everything. Now I'm wondering if it has the potential to be less of an issue with the universal mount since it places wires farther away from the trolling motor.

Anyways, wanted to post a couple photos and my interpretation of them. I turned off the dynamic contrast after the first time out on the water because I try to run with as little "post processing" of images as possible. I messed around with sensitivity and contrast a bit, but didn't really spend time dialing in the settings; I need to get the excitement out a bit and play with things a bit first before I really start trying to fine tune.

First photo shows my trolling motor blocking part of the signal so I adjusted things. No idea what the fish were, maybe suckers.

Second photo has a 12 pound lake trout right under the boat. It hit right after I took the screenshot.

Fourth photo is a different day on a different body of water. I find a lot of smaller bass relating to the tree during summer. I'm curious to get thoughts on the striped appearance of the image. My first thought was to check for interference, but it didn't change when applying the different interference filters. I slowed the rotation speed down to 2 from 3 and it cleared up a bit as you can see in the last photo. I assume the appearance is a byproduct of boat speed and transducer rotational speed but figured it was still worth getting thoughts on to shorten the learning curve.

I think I'm really going to like the mega 360 and I think it's going to translate to a lot more productive fishing after I find good structure with side imaging.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    The ones with the lines definitely look different than the typical "wagon wheel" photos I see from people who are having trolling motor interference. Do you have another unit running a SI transducer. It almost looks more like cross talk than interference. I do run a Solix SI transducer connected to my Solix 15 and the Mega 360 attached to my Solix 12 (without a Y cable) and sometimes I will get some cross talk on both the SI and Mega 360 image but never as pronounced as what I'm seeing in your 2 pictures... especially the one with the chart as well.

By the way, the "front view" you were using is my favorite setting as it fills the screen and you see much more detail. The screen doesn't refresh any faster than the full view but you can spot things easier.

Very nice first outing!
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

3. Member
    nice shots

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    The ones with the lines definitely look different than the typical "wagon wheel" photos I see from people who are having trolling motor interference. Do you have another unit running a SI transducer. It almost looks more like cross talk than interference. I do run a Solix SI transducer connected to my Solix 15 and the Mega 360 attached to my Solix 12 (without a Y cable) and sometimes I will get some cross talk on both the SI and Mega 360 image but never as pronounced as what I'm seeing in your 2 pictures... especially the one with the chart as well.

By the way, the "front view" you were using is my favorite setting as it fills the screen and you see much more detail. The screen doesn't refresh any faster than the full view but you can spot things easier.

Very nice first outing!
    Thanks! My Helix 10 was definitely still sending out side imaging pulses at the same time so it's very likely crosstalk. I'll check that the next time I go out. I wonder if the depth made a difference since I didn't have any issues the previous day but I was a bit more shallow.

5. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    I seem to have more crosstalk in shallow water than I do in deep water. You can eliminate it by having one on Mega and the other on 455. You might experiment with 455 on the SI amd Mega on the 360 to see if that does away with it.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers