2008 250 etec loss of power?

3499D4E2-FD82-4D3B-B4C5-403A3C3F0991.jpegModel number- E250dhlsec

My buddies motor has recently been losing at least 700 of his top end rpm and is down on power. The motor still runs fine at idle and mid rpm range but at full throttle it sounds like it’s surging and and can’t reach its full rpm. First thing we checked was compression and it checked out with consistent numbers. The spark plugs showed an interesting story and I included a picture of them below. One of them, the middle left cylinder, looks nearly unburnt after changing the spark plugs and trying a new set out. There was no change with new spark plugs. We thought that maybe an ignition coil had gone bad on that cylinder but when we put a timing light on it there was steady flashing from all of the spark plug wires. Any new ideas what could be causing this? We are wondering if it could be the injector but I think it would be really strange for an injector to fail like. this
    Last edited by cichlidfish; 04-04-2021 at 09:54 AM.
    Colorado State University Bass Team

2000 Viper Cobra 201D, 200 merc efi

2. Member
    posted twice???
    Last edited by mactlman; 04-04-2021 at 11:27 AM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Member
    might be a little more specific as to your motor issues?? maybe 5-6 sentences at least?? with the issue?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    MAGA

Sorry I accidentally clicked post before writing haha

Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    might be a little more specific as to your motor issues?? maybe 5-6 sentences at least?? with the issue?
    post should be edited now with a picture, thank you!

6. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    If it's firing the plug then I would have to suspect the injector.

7. Member
    INJECTOR GET MY BET ALSO? or bad reed plate??
    MAGA

Ya that’s kinda what I’m leaning towards. It’s weird that it would just stop working like that if that’s what is wrong. Thanks for the advice

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You are at the point now that you need to connect to the engine with EVDiags.

Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    You are at the point now that you need to connect to the engine with EVDiags.
    Thank you for all the input! We had that injector professionally cleaned and checked and after putting it back on there is no change. That cylinders spark plug is still coming out soaked in gas/unburnt and white looking and engine has the same symptoms. Makes me think it’s some sort of ignition problem but a new coil on that cylinder did not fix the problem either. We know it’s getting spark but don’t have a way to measure the strength of the spark. We have that big U.S. open tourney this weekend in Dallas so we won’t have the time to get the scanning software by then�� any other ideas out there we are at a loss? Might have to run it a cylinder down and hope it makes it through hahaha
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    See if you can get it in to Crowley Marine in Denver, there aren't many places that do ETEC Injector cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    See if you can get it in to Crowley Marine in Denver, there aren't many places that do ETEC Injector cleaning.
    We took the intake off today and found a chipped reed on the top cage with a good chunk missing. We are thinking we will take the heads off to check the cylinders and check inside the crankcase to make sure we can’t see any metal shards. I am confused about how a small chip in a reed could cause this major loss of power and a wet unburnt spark plug so I believe the reed may be a good catch but not the culprit, do ya’ll think that could be the case?

13. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Better pull a compression test before going any farther. When is your event? You may be taking that Cobra to Texas.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cichlidfish View Post
    We took the intake off today and found a chipped reed on the top cage with a good chunk missing. We are thinking we will take the heads off to check the cylinders and check inside the crankcase to make sure we can’t see any metal shards. I am confused about how a small chip in a reed could cause this major loss of power and a wet unburnt spark plug so I believe the reed may be a good catch but not the culprit, do ya’ll think that could be the case?

bad reed is like a bad valve in a 4 stroke. kills compression and cylinder will not fire with low compression get new reeds from chris carson
    MAGA

The event is on Saturday and it has to be the boat that we signed up with hahaha. I’m going to go to Crowley today and pick up a power head gasket set that includes the head gaskets and such and a few new reed petals (we will be putting carbon fibers on after the event) and when I fly down there tonight we are gonna inspect the cylinders and crankcase. Is there a likely spot in the motor where we might find the metal fragments if they didn’t pass through the exhaust? Thankfully when he checked compression a couple days ago the numbers still came out perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    bad reed is like a bad valve in a 4 stroke. kills compression and cylinder will not fire with low compression get new reeds from chris carson
    That makes sense! We will be going with carbon reeds after the event but might just put in oem ones for now since I can get those before the tournament. Hopefully we don’t find any serious damage when we take the heads off. Thanks guys!

Get new reed case gaskets too.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

18. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Make sure someone has a torque wrench for the heads and intake.

Thank you guys! We got some Chris Carson reeds and I’ll let you know if that solves the problem when we put them on tomorrow!