2006 150 optimax? SN 1B274973

Took the boat out since the winter storage (4 months). Ran fine all day except at the end of the day when coming off plane the engine stalled. It would start back up but would not idle for more than 2 seconds. No alarms. I was able to keep it running by starting it and hurry up and but it i to gear. After that it ran fine the rest of the time. Including starting up and idle normal at the ramp. I am assuming it was a fuel issue. The gas that was in there was from October but had mercury fuel treatment in it. Any suggestions or things to look at. I have a tournament in two weeks and don’t want to keep having an issue. Thanks

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Did you pump the primer bulb firm before every single engine start?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Not before every start but After the first non successful start I did go back and check it. It was firm at that time but definitely sounded like fuel starvation issue.
    Last edited by mattorschell; 04-03-2021 at 05:10 PM.

4. Member
    does sound fuel related whens last time pulse pump diaphram was changed??? i would be taking a close look at fuel lines and every thing from filter back to tank
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    does sound fuel related whens last time pulse pump diaphram was changed??? i would be taking a close look at fuel lines and every thing from filter back to tank
    I normally change the fuel filter every year. Have not done it yet but it’s on order. Years ago I changed out the bad fuel lines for the newer style that don’t break down. Not sure what the time pulse pump diaphram is. Never changed it before. Are you sure my motor has that?

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    As a general rule- lines should be considered due at 5 years (more often if any leaks, or performance problems develop).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    As a general rule- lines should be considered due at 5 years (more often if any leaks, or performance problems develop).
    I think I changed them out four years ago. Might be due then I guess.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    By this point I would be doing everything from the primer bulb onward (for certain), including pulse fuel pump and filter. Tank to bulb would be at your own discretion (usually a good idea to cut a 3-6" piece of line at the primer bulb that you can slice open (or dissect) for inspection)- or simply replace.

9. Member
    Might have figured it out. I changed the fuel filter ( fuel looked clean). After filter install I could not get the primer bulb to get firm so I think the bulb is bad.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Did you rotate the bulb so the arrow pointed "skyward"?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Did you rotate the bulb so the arrow pointed "skyward"?
    I did not. I have never had to do that but I will give it a try.

12. Member
    Well that worked. Thanks.

13. Member
    I guess I will cancel that order. Hahaha.

14. Member
    crazy check valves
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

15. Member
    Is there a separate filter for the pulse pump or are you referring to the main one at the VST?

16. Member
    at VST

17. Member
    It sure does work. I learned that the hard way several years ago!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mattorschell View Post
    Well that worked. Thanks.