Thread: 115 honda issue

115 honda issue

So I went and changed the oil on my 2003 Honda 115 3 weeks ago and took it out two times. Both times I would get an alarm when running slow speeds like 5 mph scanning speeds. I would turn the motor off check everything, start it back up no issues. It ran like normal going full throttle and mid throttle but I had that alarm maybe 2 times each outing, nothing consistent. Well when I pulled the boat out last week I checked the dipstick, maybe I had low oil I thought. NOPE! I had frothy over flow of oil.

I then took the next step of letting the motor sit for a few days and drained some of the oil thinking I had just overfilled and I had some frothing.....maybe. The oil is coffee latte colored through and through. I have a bit sitting in a jar now to see if the water separates better in a the warm house vs garage. I also pulled the plugs just to check. 1, 2, 4 look fine but 3. 3 had rust at the bottom under the insulator, oil on the threads and oil on the ground etc.

This leads me to believe I have possibly a blown gasket? Or something else? Ideas? Estimated cost to repair if its a gasket?

My biggest issues beyond the repairs is there are no honda dealers/mechanics willing to work on it within 100 miles. I will probably go to Waconda as its the closest I believe. The other issue is I was planning on "probably" selling the entire boat this end of the season or next. If I planned on keeping it longer I might just repower.

2. Member
    Well it's runnng. Sounds like a water pressure problem.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

3. Member
    Just dropped it off. We shall see after leak down and compression tests before we tear into it.

4. Member
    Is this the first run of the season over from winter? Do you think you have some water left in the motor from over the winter it could have freeze the block and crack it?
    97 Ranger r82 with 05 honda bf150, Helix 10 mega link with 1198c, Ultrex 80. Fish hard and keep hooking.

5. Member
    It was stored in the attached garage to the house, plus I ran it every month but feb. Could it have happened sure, but I dont think it got that cold in the garage as it shares a wall with the kitchen. I think i ran it a few times after that super cold snap, then changed the oil. I think the most likely cause is my overfilling may have caused a weak area to be found with the higher pressure perhaps. I will post what we find.

6. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Compression test should diagnose the issue if its a gasket or ring/Piston issue. Not sure a blown gasket issue would throw a code.

Could be the impeller needs replacing and its getting hot.

7. Member
    The stream is good and the impeller is new last year. Im not worried about any of that its the water in the oil that's concerning to me lol

8. Member
    Toporanger a compression test will tell if you have a bad leak somewhere. But me personally I wouldn't hook up water to the motor and start it every months. I feel that's a way to trap water into the motor for a cold night to have it freeze and expand. I know you have it stored in a attached garage. I live in oklahoma and we had that cold front come threw and my 3 car garage got down to 20 degree. Hopefully nothing too bad and its a quick fix.
    97 Ranger r82 with 05 honda bf150, Helix 10 mega link with 1198c, Ultrex 80. Fish hard and keep hooking.

9. Member
    I wasn't hooking it up to a hose, I was using it on the lake. I live next to a great wiper and crappie lake so I fish unless there is ice. When its cold I let it drain on the ramp with the motor down while I hook everything back up. Maybe that cold couple of nights did find some water though. Doesn't matter now though lol.

10. Member
    I live in Texas and when that cold front came through and we lost power for four days everything that could freeze did. I know that people believe that because it was in a garage that it wouldn't but trust me it could. It sounds like you may have a head gasket that's blown or something worse like a cracked block that's allowing water into your oil. A good service center can find it.

11. Member
    Is there an update on what the service guys found?