Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Well I went! Turns out that I’m an awful angler because I didn’t get a bite! Water was 61-67 and I mostly stayed in the back half of the creeks. I think I was just too far ahead of the fish. I only fished for about 3 hours before I broke a trolling motor prop and called it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by STEVE81 View Post
    Well I went! Turns out that I’m an awful angler because I didn’t get a bite! Water was 61-67 and I mostly stayed in the back half of the creeks. I think I was just too far ahead of the fish. I only fished for about 3 hours before I broke a trolling motor prop and called it a day.
    Dam, that water temp is high. Any issue getting a permit? I don’t think anyone mentioned that earlier.
    I went to Kincaid and water temp 56. Only had a few dinks on a spinnerbait. I did get a couple hours with the new Force trolling motor.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

3. Member
    I was out today for about 4 hours in a Mississippi river backwater called spring Lake. It's a big shallow area that heats up fast with sunshine. I had 62-66 degree water. Caught 7, 6 keepers with 3 3/4 the biggest.
    LEGEND ALPHA 199DCX / 225 PRO XS MERCURY

Quote Originally Posted by illinifish View Post
    Dam, that water temp is high. Any issue getting a permit? I don’t think anyone mentioned that earlier.
    I went to Kincaid and water temp 56. Only had a few dinks on a spinnerbait. I did get a couple hours with the new Force trolling motor.
    Oh the permit situation was quite the ordeal! I had a feeling that I would need one but I wasn’t sure. I also didn’t know what ramp I could use and if there were any ramp fees involved. So I just google mapped myself to what looked like a boat ramp at a marina. Turns out that there wasn’t a ramp there but I did talk to a gentleman that told me where a good ramp was and where to get the permit. So I drive over to the refuge HQ for the permit only to realize that they only take cash. Then I’m back on the road to go find an ATM. Get cash, go back to buy a permit, then I’m on the water about an hour after that whole ordeal starts.

Definitely not how I wanted to start my fishing experience in a new state but it is what it is. I should have prepared more.

For my next trip, I think it will either be Kinkaid or Rend.

Or I might just make a trip clear to KY Lake.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12