So seriously....

I visited Tulsa area and went hiking with family along Oolagah and also Skiatook. Both lakes look incredible from
    the shore. Either lake anything to brag about for bass fishing? Skiatook was clean/clear even on a windy day. I felt like I was in the presence of phenomenal bass grounds.

2. Member
    Skiatook used to be a great bass fishery until they loaded it with hybrids. They eat all of the bait, and the bass population has been dwindling for years. I fish it all the time, and it does have some good fish in it, both largemouth and smallmouth, but they're few and far between. It also used to have a lot of spots in it, but no so much anymore. In our fist tournament there this year, out of 77 boats, only 21 weighed fish. Only 1 team had a limit. Usually, if you get a limit there, you're getting a check. It's very hit or miss, and I've been on it a lot over the past 7 years. I don't fish Oolagah, but it's probably better for numbers.

3. Member
    Oolagah is similar to skiatook in terms of fish numbers. If you know the lake well at the right time of year it can be really good but there is a lot of dead water. And not the easiest lake to run. Neither lake is a top
    choice around here.

4. Member
    Geesh, Fort Gibson and Tenkiller any better? Grand sounds very popular, just figured some of these other lakes were gonna be similar.

5. Member
    Well of course after I said all of that, it took 25 pounds to win at Skiatook yesterday. Someone figured them out for sure. That's the heaviest bag I've ever seen or heard of there. Yes, both Ft. Gibson and Tenkiller are better lakes. Tenkiller has a great smallmouth population, and Gibson has a lot of 3+ pound quality fish. 20 pound bags are common at both of them.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdeath View Post
    Well of course after I said all of that, it took 25 pounds to win at Skiatook yesterday. Someone figured them out for sure. That's the heaviest bag I've ever seen or heard of there. Yes, both Ft. Gibson and Tenkiller are better lakes. Tenkiller has a great smallmouth population, and Gibson has a lot of 3+ pound quality fish. 20 pound bags are common at both of them.
    What was second place? I’ve definitely seen some tournaments where a twenty plus pound bag wins but second place is ten. It’s a shame it doesn’t fish like it used to because it is such a beautiful lake. But with that it also gets pretty crowded in the summer time because it is so pretty and so close to Tulsa.

7. Member
    Yes, usually there's a pretty big gap between first and second. There were some pretty solid bags this time.

http://tagfishing.com/tag_results_other.php?eventid=140

8. Member
    [QUOTE=mrdeath;11797117]Skiatook used to be a great bass fishery until they loaded it with hybrids.

False...Skiatook was a good bass fishery till the LMBV. Skiatook LM population has never fully recovered after the virus kill...

9. Member
    I also wonder if the drought caused problems when the lake dropped 18ft

10. Banned
    It slowed long before that

11. Banned
    LMBV hit Skiatook hard but I also feel that the introduction of hybrids hurt it also. Lakes that were hit by the virus have been coming back but, those the state put hybrids in are still struggling. Birch is a good example of what was once a great smaller lake that today is suffering. Was it the virus? Was it the hybrids? Combined hit?

I remember back in the 70's my Uncle fished Poor Boys and once year he go to Oolagah and visit us and take me to Okiebug, take me and my brother fishing for a day if school was out..

13. Banned
    Okiebug fisherman's paradise miss that place.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead175 View Post
    Okiebug fisherman's paradise miss that place.

Yea it was the best....what a tackle shop should be...still got a couple of the old SOB spinnerbaits remains laying around. Lot of good memories.

16. Member
    Skiatook is still a beautiful lake, and I enjoy making a trip over there.

Xpress H-56 Yamaha 115