Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar

New ZMan Goat, anyone use them yet?

I just got my order of the 4.25” Billy GOATs and 3.75” GOATs.

I want to throw the 4.25” as a topwater, like their video that’s named “This Is Not A Topwater Bait”

My question is what hook to use? I usually use a screwlock hook when I throw soft plastic frogs, my go to is the Bruiser Baits frog. A 4/0 Gamakatsu screwlock hook is perfect for that frog, but I don’t have much experience with the elaztech material.

I think this will work well as a topwater and, since it’s so buoyant I won’t have to work it as fast as a normal buzz frog.

So, any hook recommendations? Thanks all, Chris
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

I got a shipment in this winter, but havent had a chance to use them as a buzzfrog. I'll probably start with a ChinLockZ in 1/8 oz with either the 4/0 or 6/0 hook. I like a little weight on buzzfrogs for stability. I dont think you'll like the screwlock, and its really not necessary. There's enough buoyancy in that big bait that you should still be able to retrieve it pretty slow. Could also try your Gamakatsu 4/0 superline. I'm positive it will float that hook.
    Report back on what works. It will be a month or so before our TOAD season is here.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Z-Ma...age-ZMSWS.html

I've grabbed some intending to use them as Texas rig and flipping baits and swim jig trailers, but haven't got to put them to use just yet with the ice recently leaving our lakes and my boat just making its way out of storage. Eyra kid is of course dead on with them being able to float a Superline hook, but I've personally had issues with EWG style hooks and Elaztech in the past (hook not penetrating due to the stretchiness of the material), so will be using straight shank hooks in any application where the bait is Texas rigged. That said, I don't see any reason why you couldn't use a straight shank when working it like a toad, and I honestly think the small amount of keel weight you'd get from a tin-style keeper on a straight shank might actually help with ensuring it lands and runs oriented in the right direction. That's what I'd be doing if I were going to try it, for whatever it's worth.

I also agree that a screwlock is not going to make you happy. It's possible to rig an Elaztech bait on a screwlock by reaming out a "pilot hole" with the point of a flipping hook (or similar), but it's kind of a pain. I've also heard of people doing it by heating up the screwlock first, though that's another thing I've not tried. I'm sure I'd find a way to burn myself doing that. Besides, they're so durable, a screwlock style hook isn't necessary.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

4. Member
    I’ve only used the 3.75” as a trailer on a Jackhammer and the fish liked it!

5. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I did get some 3.75” to use as JH trailers. I got the 4.25 to use at a topwater and June Bug to use for flipping. I’m going to hit the lake Thursday to see how it works as a frog. Will report back.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

6. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    GoI got to use mine as a chatter bait trailer. 3”. The 4” I will use top water as I would a frog..... gonna try
    Tim Messer ~ Lake Ariel, Pa.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

2019 Ranger RT188 ~ Merc PRO XS ~ MK Ultrex

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    I just got my order of the 4.25” Billy GOATs and 3.75” GOATs.

I want to throw the 4.25” as a topwater, like their video that’s named “This Is Not A Topwater Bait”

My question is what hook to use? I usually use a screwlock hook when I throw soft plastic frogs, my go to is the Bruiser Baits frog. A 4/0 Gamakatsu screwlock hook is perfect for that frog, but I don’t have much experience with the elaztech material.

I think this will work well as a topwater and, since it’s so buoyant I won’t have to work it as fast as a normal buzz frog.

So, any hook recommendations? Thanks all, Chris
    Im not sure what hook would work best with this. I used to use the old Strike King Elaztech Zulus, got tons of bites using an EWG hook, but had lots of hooksetting issues.

On other ZMan baits my son has as noted used a hook point to start a hole, then used a lighter to heat the coil spring to screw the bait on.

Ill be following this topic, hope someone finds a good hook solution. I like the ZMan stuff, but I’m limiting myself right now to what I can thread straight onto a jighead.

I would think a Mustad Grip Pin hook would be perfect for this