Is the Zillion worth the cost over Tatula?

I haven’t used either yet.
    sj7moore@gmail.com

2. Member
    You would have to articulate more what 'worth' means to you. Is it refinement, is it longevity, is looks, is performance for certain techniques, etc.

To give you an example. A lot of people would argue that the Corvette is a good super car for the money. And I would agree that it is great to go fast in a straight line for a limited repetitions.

If I had the choice (and the money) I personally would pick a Porsche 911 Turbo over it, every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Because it would be worth to me.

Lol I’m a Porsche man myself. 964 is the best car ever..
    ok the reel:
    1st casting—mainly because I thought that Tatula felt decently refined already: ease of pitching and skipping, then distance with lighter baits
    2nd: longevity
    3rd: refinementI usually spend my dough on quality bottom contact rods: just bought a conquest and am building an HM NFC custom. So money has to weigh in at some point...or point of diminishing returns
    Last edited by s_moore; 04-02-2021 at 02:58 PM.
    sj7moore@gmail.com

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by s_moore View Post
    I haven’t used either yet.
    Yes. Very much worth it IMO.

5. Member
    Lol I’m a Porsche man myself. 964 is the best car ever..
    ok the reel:
    1st casting—mainly because I thought that Tatula felt decently refined already: ease of pitching and skipping, then distance with lighter baits
    2nd: longevity
    3rd: refinementI usually spend my dough on quality bottom contact rods: just bought a conquest and am building an HM NFC custom. So money has to weigh in at some point...or point of diminishing returns
    Nice! Yeah a Porsche ist just a dream capabilities and beautiful quality and design in one package! :)

Regarding the Zillion:

1. Casting: General casting is great imo. If I compare it to my other reels (Steez SV TW, Antares 70, Steez A) I think the Zillion performs good. It does not stand out for me at anything specific, but is a great all around reel.

Skipping: Read this here: http://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=85691 I did also some extensive testing here and in my opinion there are better reels out there if you want to skip lighter lures (1/2oz and below).

2. Hard to tell since the reel is still new. Given its construction I would think that one can expect a couple of good years out of the reel.

3. I think in terms of refinement it is up there. I would put it slightly under a Steez SV TW / A. While the Steez in my hands feel a bit more like a Porsche (to get back to the car analogy). Light, smooth and sporty. The other type of refinement would be something like a Antares A. This reel feels like a Maybach. Super smooth, super refined. I would think that the Zillion fits more into the Antares kind of smoothness. Given its additional bearing on the pinion gear.

Overall I think it is a great all around reel. It sits on my Chatterbait rod (MB Super Destroyer).

If you are looking at a reel for your high end BC rod (Conquest) it would definitely be a contender, but I would also have a look at the Steez SV / A and the Antares A.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

6. Member
    I'll preface this by saying I haven't used the new Zillion, but I've heard nothing but great things about them. With that said, I love my Tatula SV TW reels. They are great for pitching and skipping and the SV spool is great for lighter baits as well. If given the choice between using that extra $150 (difference in price between a Zillion and a Tatula SV) to purchase a better rod or get the Zillion, I think I'd opt for the higher end rod. Now if my budget allowed for both, then I'd get the Zillion because it is a better reel overall.

Quote Originally Posted by freelancer27 View Post
    Nice! Yeah a Porsche ist just a dream capabilities and beautiful quality and design in one package! :)

Regarding the Zillion:

1. Casting: General casting is great imo. If I compare it to my other reels (Steez SV TW, Antares 70, Steez A) I think the Zillion performs good. It does not stand out for me at anything specific, but is a great all around reel.

Skipping: Read this here: http://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=85691 I did also some extensive testing here and in my opinion there are better reels out there if you want to skip lighter lures (1/2oz and below).

2. Hard to tell since the reel is still new. Given its construction I would think that one can expect a couple of good years out of the reel.

3. I think in terms of refinement it is up there. I would put it slightly under a Steez SV TW / A. While the Steez in my hands feel a bit more like a Porsche (to get back to the car analogy). Light, smooth and sporty. The other type of refinement would be something like a Antares A. This reel feels like a Maybach. Super smooth, super refined. I would think that the Zillion fits more into the Antares kind of smoothness. Given its additional bearing on the pinion gear.

Overall I think it is a great all around reel. It sits on my Chatterbait rod (MB Super Destroyer).

If you are looking at a reel for your high end BC rod (Conquest) it would definitely be a contender, but I would also have a look at the Steez SV / A and the Antares A.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
    Steez SV TW would be my no compromise pick, money aside. It sounds like skipping and lighter baits aren’t the Zillions strong suit. In that case, would a Met MGL, Chrinarch MGL, or even Curado/Scorpion MGL be a better price compromise? The Mets from Japan can be had for right at $300.
    sj7moore@gmail.com

8. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    What Zillion and Tatula are you referring to? There are several models available.

If there are issues with skipping any of the SV spools the first place to look is the person doing the skipping and then the brake setting. But I haven't tried the SV Boost spool so that may make a diff.
    Last edited by BoatBuggy; 04-02-2021 at 04:37 PM.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

Talking the Zillion SV TW and Tatula SV TW since they’re similar platform and spool.
    sj7moore@gmail.com

10. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    The Zillion SV TW is a bit more refined than the Tatula SV TW but far less refined than the Steez SV TW. One of the biggest differences is that the Zillion has a free floating spool like the Steez SV TW (in fact a spool that works in a Zillion SV TW will work in a Steez SV TW and vice versa) whereas the Tatula SV TW spool has a shaft and is not free floating. Based on a comment you made in your other thread about the Steez and Met, being able to change and use different spools isn't that big a deal for you. However, the free floating spool and spool options available to you will go further in your quest to cast lighter baits around. The Tat SV TW is a wonderful reel and they all get a good workout in my boat for swimjigs, chatterbaits, squarebills and small swimbaits but the Zillion SV TW will handle the light stuff better and the Steez SV TW will be even better than that. For the price of a Steez SV TW, you could get a Zillion SV TW and a 1012 SV spool. The 1012 spool is really good for casting the light stuff.

11. Member
    Hard to say if it is worth the price, because "worth" is very different for every person. Is there a noticeable difference in overall refinement between the two....yes, very much so. The Tatula SV's are awesome reels for the money that do everything pretty well. As soon as you get the two back to back though you will notice a sizable leap in refinement with the Zillion. I like the Zillion enough that I will be purchasing more of them in the future, but at the same time I still like the Tatula SV's enough that I also just purchased another one of them.

Thanks guys! Is the 1012 spool the same one people use to rave about in the OG Steez HA? I had one with an aftermarket spool I tried once...was either a 1012 or 1016.
    sj7moore@gmail.com

13. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Thanks guys! Is the 1012 spool the same one people use to rave about in the OG Steez HA? I had one with an aftermarket spool I tried once...was either a 1012 or 1016.
    Don't know that specific reel but the 1012 and a 1016 are both 34mm spools so the answer is probably yes. The 1016 is the spool that comes with the Zillion SV TW and Steez SV TW.

14. Member
    Last year I picked up two zillion tw hd reels for spool capacity and smooth 15# drag
    These are nice reels for what I use them for.
    I can throw heavy lures or weightless flukes with ease.
    25# fluorocarbon handles with ease on thes reels.
    i sure the zillion tw model would be great for what your needing.
    The hd model is a real workhorse!

I would find it pretty hard to give up my Tatula Elite reels. The Zillion is a great reel as well but something about those Elites just really makes it hard for me to give them up. They are amazing at their price point. Mine have held up very well and still perform like new.

16. Member
    Yes Sir,
    The Elite reels are mighty fine.
    I have a few and they always impress me.
    The Elite is great for extra distance !!!!

17. Member
    I'd like to try a Zillion out.. but nobody can keep them in stock.
    I come from the land of the ice and snow.
    YouTube: PunchFishing

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    I would find it pretty hard to give up my Tatula Elite reels. The Zillion is a great reel as well but something about those Elites just really makes it hard for me to give them up. They are amazing at their price point. Mine have held up very well and still perform like new.
    Have you used a Tatula Elite for tossing light cranks? I'm using a Tatula SV on my swingfire and i'm tossing around things like balsa flatsides and Z2's and I feel like i'm not getting the "max casting distance" I could be. I'm guessing an upgrade to a tatula elite "long cast" probably won't be worth it.
    I come from the land of the ice and snow.
    YouTube: PunchFishing

Are the Elites the ones that hold more line for heavier apps? I’ll have to look into it. I found the older Zillions kind of awkward to hold all day, I’m assuming the Elites are similar platform...?
    sj7moore@gmail.com

20. Member
    Seconded. I have some elites and some zillion sv tw. Love both, elite bombs casts like no other.