Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Keypad equipped boats: the backup ignition switch

Ranger folks,

I am starting a new thread specifically for inclusion in the sticky note “Ranger maintenance tips and tricks.” The purpose of this thread is to highlight the value of obtaining—if you don’t already have one—a backup key start switch for boats equipped with a touchpad/keypad dash. Included below are two pictures from valuable forum contributor Dean C. One shows the Mercury part number; this same item also works with Yamaha and Evinrude engines. The other picture shows the backup key assembly itself.

To install, detach the wire/plug assembly *that contains yellow wires* from the rear of the keypad/touchpad. This plug and its attached wires is for the start switch/button. There will be a second plug behind the keypad. That plug and wire grouping is for the stop switch and does not contain a yellow wire. If you look at the picture of the backup switch assembly, you can see the yellow wires in it, so yellow to yellow makes sense. Take the plug that you have pulled out of the console/keypad and plug it into the auxiliary key assembly. Then turn the key to start the engine [in the water...].

Many keypads/touchpads on Rangers have lasted close to 20 years without failure. But why not keep a backup key switch just in case? Caution: any electrical component can corrode if left exposed for years. So if you take the backup key switch out of its sealed bag to look at it or test it [not a terrible idea...], be sure to reseal tightly in a strong ziplock bag, so that the contacts are in good shape years down the road. Pictures below:
    3F9039C5-3393-497D-9B0B-C2FEF37A409C.jpeg E1288CB6-3AC8-45F6-87CE-AC46FEEBCD44.jpeg
    Last edited by jc2bg; 04-03-2021 at 07:45 PM.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Sweet video explanation of the auxiliary switch and installation of same, custom-created by forum member Dean C. It doesn’t get any better than this. Thank you, Dean!

Last edited by jc2bg; 04-03-2021 at 07:27 PM.

3. Member
    Thanks John.!! And Dean.!!!
    Last edited by clayshooter; 04-02-2021 at 02:42 PM.

4. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

Thanks Dean,

What a great video for us Ranger owners. I recently had to change out the electronic brain as well as the 3 (fried) electronic pads associated with that ($1,851.73). I have a 2015 Ranger 521-c with a 2015 250 SHO, I'm currently not an owner of the emergency ignition key but will immediately purchase one when I return from work. $100 well spent for the piece of mind... Thanks again
    ……Ranger Randy 521c

Great video, simple enough for us knuckleheads

I have one for my Z21. Still in the glove box, original package, never opened. Hope it still works. For my Yamaha SHO.

8. Member
    I guess I am confused. I thought this backup key was for if the keypad goes bad. Is Dean C suggesting this backup key switch gets plugged into the keypad? If the pad is bad how will this start the motor? I thought the plug that is unplugged from the suspected bad keypad start switch plugs into the emergency start key switch.

9. Member
    Nice guys thank for the info. I like to get one for my 18 520L. Were would I order one, and how much please.

10. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Order from your/a Ranger dealer. Cost approximately $100. Two forum members bought from my dealer this week: Knox Marine, 740-694-7774. Nearly every Ranger dealer carries them in stock, although like all items, sometimes they would need to be ordered.

Quote Originally Posted by Zpilot View Post
    I guess I am confused. I thought this backup key was for if the keypad goes bad. Is Dean C suggesting this backup key switch gets plugged into the keypad? If the pad is bad how will this start the motor? I thought the plug that is unplugged from the suspected bad keypad start switch plugs into the emergency start key switch.
    You know...I’m repeating what the Ranger parts folks told me, but looking at the wiring, I suspect you are correct. I doubt there’s some capability to start through the stop circuit wiring. I’m going to get under there and verify the clips fit. It makes total sense what you are describing. I’ll take down that video if it’s incorrect and make a new one.
    Last edited by dean c; 04-03-2021 at 10:14 AM.

Just in case someone reading needs one...

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1116134
    2001 Ranger 518DVX Comanche / Mercury 200 Opti (OT306368)

13. Member
    The key switch plugs into the wiring that is normally connected to the panel. I am running one now since my key pad has been out for months and Ranger (Bass Pro) has not shipped mine to me yet and can't tell me when I will get it.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Teamskeeter2005 View Post
    The key switch plugs into the wiring that is normally connected to the panel. I am running one now since my key pad has been out for months and Ranger (Bass Pro) has not shipped mine to me yet and can't tell me when I will get it.
    Thanks, makes sense.

Ok guys...new video posted with the correct procedure. Sorry for the confusion.
    Last edited by jc2bg; 04-04-2021 at 07:50 AM.

16. Member
    Thanks for the video!

17. Member
    Make sure you keep the tools required to pull the keypad out in your boat.

I ordered mine direct from Ranger parts.
    Last edited by RGK456; 04-04-2021 at 09:18 AM.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RGK456 View Post
    Make sure you keep the tools required to pull the keypad out in your boat.

I ordered mine direct from Ranger parts.
    Huh?

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zpilot View Post
    Huh?

My pad takes a Torx driver to remove.

20. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Just so everyone is on the same page, this thread is aimed at specifically installing/using the auxiliary key switch. Eventually, the keypad would be removed and replaced, at which time some tool or tools would be required.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast