Which reel to pair with a green NRX 852s?

Hi guys,

need a bit of help in my research for a spinning reel. Since most of my combos are casting, all my knowledge and experience are with baitcasting reels.

I scored a mint GREEN NRX 852s yesterday on craigslist for 300USD and am now looking to pair the rod with a deserving reel. Personally I think a black or a silver reel would look great.

Technique wise, I will use this combo for all things finesse. Drop Shot is probably the main technique, but would probably also use it for shakey heads (though this is where I usually use the NRX 852c).

Would appreciate some reel and also line recommendations (would most likely go with a braid to leader set up).

Thanks guys!

2. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Even though I'm a Daiwa fan boy for all things baitcaster, I'm kind of partial to Shimano spinning reels. I'd put a Vanford 2500 on it. I just picked one up to go on my wife's new Conquest and it's a pretty sweet combo.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

3. Member
    3000 sustain will balance great.

4. Member
    Did a bit of research and I am kind liking the Daiwa Exist and the Certate. Probably the 3000 size would do well with the NRX.

Any thoughts on these?

Thanks.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by freelancer27 View Post
    Did a bit of research and I am kind liking the Daiwa Exist and the Certate. Probably the 3000 size would do well with the NRX.

Any thoughts on these?

Thanks.
    I couldn’t stomach the exist price but have been running the Certate in the 2500 for spinning and love the reels. For me the 2500 seems like the “right” size for inshore fishing and the 3000 just feels like it’s a little bit big, my 2 cents. I have a couple ballistics that are 3000 to compare size...
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

6. Member
    Your choices are above my budget...by a lot. The BG is black and I think it looks great. A bit heavier than others, but built like a tank.

7. Member
    Vanford 3000 would be perfection
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

Stradic FL would be my choice. Thoroughly impressed with how smooth and solid mine is.

9. Member
    THanks all.

Ordered an Exist, Certate and Ballistic LT. Will see how they feel and will keep one.

10. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by freelancer27 View Post
    THanks all.

Ordered an Exist, Certate and Ballistic LT. Will see how they feel and will keep one.
    the scary part is, with your eyes closed, the Certate is so amazing and feels so similar you may “regret” the Exist...not really, but the Certate is really amazing.
    Steve

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by steve1206 View Post
    the scary part is, with your eyes closed, the Certate is so amazing and feels so similar you may “regret” the Exist...not really, but the Certate is really amazing.
    Yep! Kept the Certate! ;-) The exist is a tick smoother and a tick sexier. But I can not justify a 800USD spinning reel that I will only occasionally use.