Humminbird keeps Powering off. Do I need to replace battery to Finder cable?

I upgraded my 2011 TXW electronics to a Humminbird Helix 10 MSI. The unit keeps powering off when I start the big motor. I've read ensuring the connections are good and replacing the main power cable will fix this situation. Has anyone had a similar experience? What is the gauge of the original power cable?

2. Member
    Is the hot wire from the unit going to fuse box or straight to the battery with a fusible link?
    Also, I had a problem similar, but it ended up being the adapter that all the wires went into that screwed to the back of the Hummingbird.. the power connector was not shoved all the way up causing it to not be 100% plugged in and vibration cut it off from the wire jiggling inside the adapter.

3. Member
    Thanks for response. Ill check and see if the hot wire goes to the fuse box. I assumed that it did. Do you know how its wired from the factory? We ended up getting rid of the Humminbird adapter and now we plug in the power and transducer cables.

4. Member
    Boat and motor? Battery size?
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

5. Member
    Just talked to Cabelas boat service. They asked me what motor (60 Merc, 4 stroke) then said I need a bigger battery.

6. Member
    What size battery in there now? group 24 I'd venture to guess?

Recommend a Group 27 minimum for all day longevity. Run 2 graphs and livewell alot, go bigger.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

7. Member
    If you go bigger battery.. make sure you also pick up the proper sized battery tray for it. They are not too expensive - last one I got from going from a 27 to a 31 was 10$ at Academy Sports

8. Member
    Thanks for the info. I'll check out the battery this weekend and if 24 or smaller I'll get a minimum of 27. And a proper tray.

9. Banned
    Group 31 battery and run dedicated power for the graphs. I had voltage drop at the bow running a helix 9 even with a group 31. As soon as I ran dedicated 10 gauge wire it fixed all my issues

10. Member
    I did the same as Tinman90, solved my problems too.