yamaha 70 no spark on #2 cylinder

So im looking for help with a spark issue on my 1993 yamaha 70 hp tlrr 2 stoke. I do not have any spark on the #2 plug. Thinking it might be a coil i replaced it and still have the same issue. I swapped the #2 coil and the #3 but the problem still remained on the #2 cylinder. 1 and 3 both have proper spark. Where do i go from here? rectifier or CDI? also is there a way to test either of those. Thanks, Lackey

2. Member
    Rectifier has nothing whatsoever to do with the ignition system. Forget that.

CDI is the least like cause of no spark. Forget that for now.

Charge coil provides electrical power to the CDI. Have you verified that the voltages are correct?

CDI outputs electrical power to the ignition coils. Have you verified that the voltages are correct?

Pulser coil and crank position sensor tell the CDI when to send electrical power to the ignition coils. Have you verified pulser coil and crank position sensor output?

3. Member
    Like reading your replies. Teaches me a lot����

4. Member
    Will get on those today hopefully and see what i come up wih.

5. Member
    Thank you greatly for the reply. Trying to learn from folks as i go. Which one of the losted items would you start with and in your opinion why is the problem concentrated to one cylinder? Thanks again for the help already.

6. Member
    Pulser coil tells CDI to fire # one and # three. CPS tells CDI to fire # two.

7. Member
    Excellent! Thank you

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    Rectifier has nothing whatsoever to do with the ignition system. Forget that.

CDI is the least like cause of no spark. Forget that for now.

Charge coil provides electrical power to the CDI. Have you verified that the voltages are correct?

CDI outputs electrical power to the ignition coils. Have you verified that the voltages are correct?

Pulser coil and crank position sensor tell the CDI when to send electrical power to the ignition coils. Have you verified pulser coil and crank position sensor output?
    I checked the charge coil, pulser coil, and the cps by the Yamaha manual. They all checked out tomy suprise. This thing is kicking my tail! Thanks for all the help so far.

9. Member
    You find it yet?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rid 05 198 View Post
    You find it yet?
    Everything checked out but the CDI but to avoud beong stuck with a $700 this might fix it part i took it to a mechanic. He put one on and it fixed the no spark issue but the boat still wont accelerate. Start easing into the throttle and it falls on its face. He is gonna come look at it tomorrow on the water.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    Pulser coil tells CDI to fire # one and # three. CPS tells CDI to fire # two.
    So, i ended up taking it to a mechanic due to not wanting to buy a CDI and that not be the issue. He checked it out and determined it needed a CDI. Put it on and spark is back on the #2 cylinder. Put it in the water and it wont let me go past an idle. If i try to give it throttle it just bogs down and will cut off if i dont back off the throttle. Do you have a suggestion as to what could cause that. This is what has been done

- Carbs have been taken apart, cleaned, and parts replaced
    - new fuel lines, primer bulb
    - gas tank drained and cleaned, filled with fresh non ethanol
    - new ngk plugs gaped to yamaha spec
    - strainer taken out and cleaned
    It will try to accelerate if you manually rev it at the carbs but it wont try at all at the controls. Its back in shop now im just trying to figure out what it might be while waiting to hear back!