Tips for driving my new big boy boat

Hey all, I just made a big jump in boats and I need a few pointers. I'm not new to boating, I've had jet boats, inboard ski boats, a small Tracker PT 185 and most recently a Champion 186 with a 150.
    My new to me boat though is a big jump in performance. Its a 2015 Phoenix 920 Pro XP, 250 Merc, Atlas 10" jack plate, etc. When I test drove the boat I was all over the place with it. Never got above about 56 MPH and that was really all I wanted with how it handled! I will add that the boat was also completely empty. Two decent sized guys in it, but no tackle, very little fuel, and obviously no live well water. I've fished a decent amount from a 921 PHX and I know how capable these boats are and how great the ride is. I'm not all about the speed, I'm really way more interested in a great ride and good handling. I also will be running this boat at about 6000' elevation so I know I'm going to need to change the current 24 Fury to a smaller prop and a 4 blade will probably be my choice for better grip and handling.

So, I realize this new set up is going to take some time and getting used to but I was hoping for some general starting points for it. I know to trim all the way down when starting and I know I'll get the feel for when to trim up, but what's a normal starting point for when to trim up on these boats? Do I just adjust until the rooster tail is about engine height or what handling characteristics should I be looking for with the trim? I know I trimmed to far up when I test drove it and I noticed the steering was very stiff like that.
    Where is a good starting place for my jack plate? The guy I bought the boat from said he was told to set it at 12 on the gauge and leave it there. Not much sense in having an adjustable jack plate in my opinion if this is all your doing with it. I'm debating on setting the plate all the way to the bottom to start with and adjust from there or setting it at 3.25" below pad, marking where that is on the gauge and plate, and using that as my starting point. Besides water pressure, what exactly am I looking for when I'm adjusting this though? What effects should I expect when moving up or down?

I appreciate the help and any other tips you all want to share, I'll be all ears!
    Jeff
    2015 Phoenix 920 Pro XP
    250 Mercury Optimax Pro XS
    Colorado

2. Member
    You may want to try posting this in the Phoenix Boat Forum further down the page.

3. Member
    I just repowered my TR 20 and put a bob’s action on it. I set it at 3.25 below pad as a reference point. I’ve only run it a couple of times and couldn’t run wide open because of floating logs but playing with just the jack plate at 39 mph I raised to 2.5 below and picked up almost 3 mph. To me it’s just a matter of experimenting once you have a reference point on the guage. Load will change where you need to have it also.

4. Member

5. Member
    Mikes250r,
    That was exactly what I was looking for!
    I would seriously like to buy the guy that wrote that a 12 pack and I'll throw in another for you for linking it!!
    I have no problem admitting that I am that guy coming from an 18 footer with a 150 and making a huge jump in performance. I know I need to learn how to drive it. That article and some seat time is a great start.
    I did get the boat out yesterday and made some big gains already. Here's what I learned; First, don't start trimming so soon. I was trimming as soon as I hit the throttle (hot foot now) like I was on my smaller motors and I was cavitating. I also noticed I didn't need any where near as much trim on this hull. I was trimming about as much as I "thought" I was before and I had a huge rooster tail and riding way bow high.
    As far as the jack plate, I forgot to bring a tape measure and get my starting point reference but I did lower it, other than when I was in the shallows. I noticed a big difference with that alone. Before when it was at the "12" setting the previous owner recommended, I definitely had the excessive steering torque. Dropping the plate helped this considerably but I feel there's more to be had there.

Three things I need to iron out before getting too much further,

1. Check water pressure. My gauge is reading 0 and my Mercury Smart Craft only got to about 7 psi even though I never got hot and I had a good stream out the hole.
    2. Get a baseline for my jack plate.
    3. Research a correct prop. I have a 24 Fury on it now but I am at about 6000' elevation and it is way over propped.

Thanks again for the link. I am going to bookmark this and review it every time before I go out until its second nature!
    Jeff
    2015 Phoenix 920 Pro XP
    250 Mercury Optimax Pro XS
    Colorado

6. Member
    Cojab,
    I own a 2002 Viper Cobra with '03 Merc 225 EFI worked hanging on a manual 10" Slidemaster set at 2 7/8" P2P spinning a 25" Trophy Plus or 26" Tempest Plus 56-5700 RPM WOT 15-18 psi water pressure. it original ran an 8 " JP and had it all set up for it, but when moved up to 10" I had to pretty much start all over again to set thing exactly how I like them.
    I believe that 3.5" P2P is a good start, and having a hydraulic JP with a gage make things go much easier in getting to your sweet spot.
    Run the boat at the above setting with current prop, and write down all the running perimeters, especially what your water pressure reading is and what number you are running on your JP. Make sure your water pressure never drops below what your manufacturer minimum is for any long period of time, and I prefer 8-10 psi min.
    If your prop is running within 200-300 of max, don't make any changes to the prop yet, unless you are moving to a 4 blade for easier operation, but if it is a good prop get it B&B by Mark Croxton running it again when you get it back to valuate your improvements.
    At this time, you can start bringing it up 1/4" at the time keeping in mind water pressure and RPM at WOT, and put in some seat time in getting to know how your relationship is developing while learning your best trim set up, since over trimming is your enemy.
    Remember, seat time is your friend in getting to that desired set up, especially since you don't care to squeeze out every MPH, and I can tell you by experience that every boat I have had feels different after 60-65 mph., especially the higher you get on you JP the less hull pad will be supporting you at WOT.
    My set up at 2 7/8" is a compromise between the 2 props I run, but I could run the Tempest Plus closer to 2 1/2" if I wanted to get ever closer to 80 mph, which like you is not that important to me since I am happy with low to mid 70' mph.
    Keep in mind, this is not sprint race, but a 500 miles 3 stage race like NASCAR, so grow your skills through the stages while tuning your set up, since a 450 hp car will not handle not even close to a 700+ hp.

Most importantly, enjoy the ride, and know your limitations.

7. Member
    Hi Jeff,

You and I have a lot in common. I came from a 99 Champion 191DC with a Johnson 200. It would run 68 mph, however, it basically drove itself. It was very hard to make it do anything unpredictable. I now have a 2020 BassCat Puma with a Merc 250 4-stroke. WOW WHAT A DIFFERENCE! My BassCat lightly loaded will do 80+. It will easily do 77 with a partner and 30 gallons of fuel.

The article I linked was extremely helpful for me. I’ve had my Puma about 9 months now. I have come a long way as far as really going fast is concerned. Two things with a high performance boat that terrified me were “prop blow-out and hooking”. The good news is that the Torquemaster gear case on these new Mercs make it very hard to create blow-out. Most rigs won’t go fast enough to blow-out. So that’s a relief but “hooking” is a very real phenomenon that can occur if you are going 70+ and suddenly let off the gas or catch a boat wake the wrong way. It didn’t take me but once to realize how to decelerate with a gentle amount of negative trim and gently coming off the gas. Seat time has really helped me and driving fast and avoiding chine walk is like second nature now. I just know how much trim to give it(not much LOL) and don’t even really think about it. Rarely does my boat start walking on me unless I am really trying to see top speed numbers.

Speed is good to have and fun at times but most of my partners don’t care to run 77. Furthermore, I have found that if I cruise around at around 55 or so I can get better gas milage than what I got with my old 200 Johnson. So that in itself is kinda cool too. Congratulations on your new boat. My Buddy has a Phoenix PHX20 and it is an awesome boat. I know you will enjoy yours. Be safe and have fun!

8. Member
    Buddy used to have a 13' 920 pro xp with 250 2s merc and atlas. IIRC that boat got on pad like a rocket with the JP all the way down and from there would bump up trim until the speed didn't gain, and would bring the JP up to get more out of it. I think 12-14 on the JP is where he saw best speed.

Also that XP hull you have is going to be more sporty than the PHX hull. The XP has better turning IMO but the PHX handles waves and wakes much better.
    Fish have fins, they swim