Thread: Bourbon hunting

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HookedonBass View Post
    I'm still on the learning curve to determine what I truly like. In the process I've managed to fill up my bar shelves (and more), so now I'm in the phase of going through it all. Trying some of the better one's neat or on a cube, while others do make a great cocktail. This kind of became a hobby during this crazy time we've been in. Have learned a whole lot about bourbon and had some fun hunting for the allocated stuff that our state makes so difficult to find. I wouldn't stand in a long-azz line at 5:00 AM like I've seen some people doing, so I stick with the stores that just put their allocation out at random times.
    Assuming you view that to be a "problem," you need a bourbon buddy (or two) and a handful of 4 oz sample bottles. It'll cut your testing budget in half. I don't buy as much as my buddy so the swap is always lopsided.

PXL_20210401_181616036.jpg

2. Member
    Don't go down the scotch slope, that is a slippery slope lol

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 218_fishing View Post
    Yuck! Not a danger for me. I'd rather lick ash trays

4. Member
    From a more National POV, you would be considered a Truck Chaser.

There's a reason I abandoned Bourbon (most of it anyway) and have focused on Scotch, Rum (Rhum) and quality Tequila's. The local market has been completely impacted by chaser's & flipper's anymore. As soon as a barrel pick shows up, it's sold out within hours anymore. Used to be you could get a quality barrel pick and buy a bottle and go back for more a cpl months later if you really liked it. Not anymore, buy all you can when you can & hope it's good. Not so much my cup of tea to do that. Some store's (as you have already mentioned) have limits. And when you ask neighbors, friends and other's to help get you more than you should be entitled to get, that's what drives that market.

I personally know of a guy who bought 2 cases of a certain bottle (had a lead on it before the truck even arrived) and sold all but 2 bottles to pocket the money, for a very substantial profit none the less.

Last I checked, it's still illegal to sell Alcohol (individuals) w/o a license. Whether it be in Forums, FB groups or otherwise. The TTB is not real keen on this.

After all, It is MERICA. I mean if you can profit off someone else's wants or needs, by all means you should have the right and freedom to do so.......Even if it is ILLEGAl.....right?

FWIW.....Scotch is AWESOME!!! You just have to find the right one for you! Once you do, you'll understand.

Quote Originally Posted by 218_fishing View Post
    I too am more of a Scotch drinker. I was watching a Ron White comedy special a year or two back and he talked about one called Famous Grouse . I tried several of the less expensive bottles and they were actually very good for a "daily drinker" ... but if you get a chance, pick up one of the higher priced versions like the one in the link below. It's what I ask for every Christmas!

https://caskcartel.com/products/famo...hoCaPcQAvD_BwE

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PsuHntr View Post
    tators going tate...
    Truer words have never been spoken.

I have officially quit the bourbon frenzy, instead going back to my old reliables until this idiocy blows over and prices go back to normal. Spending 50-100 on a bottle that you haven't sampled is just crazy..... And then dropping twice the amount for that same juice on the secondary market is even crazier. There is a lot of excellent bourbon still available that isn't in the flashy bottles, has specific names on it that invoke higher prices like Weller, Pappy etc. I keep these names to myself, because I found them and I like them. I'm not going to pay double the amount just because they became fashionable.

I can never understand why good solid bourbon is overlooked for something that's flashy yet questionable. I'm just thankful for people like taters who are willing to pay exorbitant amounts of money for a substandard bourbon, because sooner or later the bourbon market is going to correct itself, and I'll just keep plotting along drinking my standbys, while watching everybody else lose their shirts on overpriced bottles of questionable juice. Carry on.
    Last edited by Tom G.; 04-01-2021 at 04:52 PM.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Last I checked, it's still illegal to sell Alcohol (individuals) w/o a license. Whether it be in Forums, FB groups or otherwise. The TTB is not real keen on this.

After all, It is MERICA. I mean if you can profit off someone else's wants or needs, by all means you should have the right and freedom to do so.......Even if it is ILLEGAl.....right?

FWIW.....Scotch is AWESOME!!! You just have to find the right one for you! Once you do, you'll understand.
    I guess we were truck chasers yesterday.

I didn't say he/we were gonna sell any. He prefers to trade for other stuff we can't get easily. Is that legal?

I got nothin against people liking Scotch. Wish I could acquire the taste but it just isn't happening. I've tried at least a dozen from Dewars, Johnny Walker Red, Monkey Shoulder, and Famous Grouse up through to Glenlivet, MaClallan, Balvenie, Glenmorangie, Glenfiddich, Laphroaig, and a whole bunch of them. At this point I think I can safely say it ain't for me.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    I guess we were truck chasers yesterday.

I didn't say he/we were gonna sell any. He prefers to trade for other stuff we can't get easily. Is that legal?

I got nothin against people liking Scotch. Wish I could acquire the taste but it just isn't happening. I've tried at least a dozen from Dewars, Johnny Walker Red, Monkey Shoulder, and Famous Grouse up through to Glenlivet, MaClallan, Balvenie, Glenmorangie, Glenfiddich, Laphroaig, and a whole bunch of them. At this point I think I can safely say it ain't for me.
    You left out the key part I was referring to...
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    I personally know of a guy who bought 2 cases of a certain bottle (had a lead on it before the truck even arrived) and sold all but 2 bottles to pocket the money, for a very substantial profit none the less.

I do agree, Scotch is not for everyone, and palates change. 20yrs ago I tried to dabble in scotch and couldn't get into it, especially anything from Islay. After realizing I was focusing more on only 1 or 2 regions, I expanded and did my own research looking for profiles that appealed to me more. I'll take an Upper Western Highlands and Coastal Single Malt any time now. I've warmed up to a lot of very good, and heavily peated scotches, but none of them are from Diageo at all (except maybe Laphroaig Cask Strength)!! Bruichalddich has been my most favorite distillery for overall profile and style, esp the Port Charlotte & Octomore offerings.

Out of the mainstream malts your listed, I agree, none of them have been overly appealing to me. I still have a pour of each of those once in while, but I don't go out of my way to keep any in stock. Dewars 15 is a good blend, esp if you find it on sale. Monkey Shoulder is owned by Glenfiddich/Balvenie, so you already know what your getting there, but it's still pretty good for an under $30 blended malt IMO.

If a person wanted to get into a blended (Vatted really) Single Malt Blend that is truly good, Douglas Laing has some fantastic stuff IMO.

9. Member
    Nice job! Eagle rare is getting tough to find here in MN as well. Weller is almost extinct. I have some Antique 107 coming my way along with some Buffalo Trace White Dog along with it. Haven't tried that yet but looked interesting. Bourbon hunting is definitely fun.

Expert tip....Get some friends out west....

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G. View Post
    Truer words have never been spoken.

I have officially quit the bourbon frenzy, instead going back to my old reliables until this idiocy blows over and prices go back to normal. Spending 50-100 on a bottle that you haven't sampled is just crazy..... And then dropping twice the amount for that same juice on the secondary market is even crazier. There is a lot of excellent bourbon still available that isn't in the flashy bottles, has specific names on it that invoke higher prices like Weller, Pappy etc. I keep these names to myself, because I found them and I like them. I'm not going to pay double the amount just because they became fashionable.

I can never understand why good solid bourbon is overlooked for something that's flashy yet questionable. I'm just thankful for people like taters who are willing to pay exorbitant amounts of money for a substandard bourbon, because sooner or later the bourbon market is going to correct itself, and I'll just keep plotting along drinking my standbys, while watching everybody else lose their shirts on overpriced bottles of questionable juice. Carry on.
    Prices won’t go back till normal unless everyone stops drinking it.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by juice780 View Post
    Prices won’t go back till normal unless everyone stops drinking it.
    We both know that that's an impossibility, but the market right now has priced itself way too high versus quality, and all it's going to take is people to stop buying the overpriced fashion Bourbons to really make a dent in the fad. If there's too much overpriced juice sitting on shelves, it's not going to take much to cut the legs out from under this. That's what happened the last time to a lesser degree, and then there was a bit of a bust cycle where distillers got back to traditional offerings as their mainstay, not trying to push the envelope on fads that won't last. Prices also dropped accordingly.

12. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    I vote for more distilled spirits threads if it'll get Tom and R.D. to hang around more often.
    Who controls John Gill?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
    I found a bottle of E. H. Taylor small batch in a gift basket in a Chevron last week. Yay!
    Ounce for ounce CEHT Small Batch to me is the best bourbon out there. If somebody told me I had to pick one bourbon to drink for the rest of my life, it would be the Taylor. And I have a lot to choose from.
    Slide1.JPG

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KYRANGERMAN View Post
    Ounce for ounce CEHT Small Batch to me is the best bourbon out there. If somebody told me I had to pick one bourbon to drink for the rest of my life, it would be the Taylor. And I have a lot to choose from.
    Slide1.JPG
    I'll agree it's a good bourbon, but when I see it on the shelf (and that's actually when I truly see it, not often as I once did) they are all going for $50-65 now a days. So if you can tell me that ounce for ounce based on that price it's the best out there........then we can have a discussion about that. In all honestly, ever since Sazerac took over, this is nothing more than a label and a Bonded version of Buffalo Trace. So if you were already a BT fan, then EHT is more a "Premium" line of the same thing. Pretty much anything in the Mashbill #1 side is that way, even Eagle Rare. The difference is ER is a 10yo version and under 50%. Is it good, yes. Is it $50-65 good and higher with secondary? No. Do I have any? Yes, but they are Barrel Picks and I paid $40 each for them.

I can attest that I have a few 15yo Knob Creeks that will stand toe to toe with a few "Premium" line's. In a Blind of 5, you'd be pretty surprised how well it holds it's own. There are 2 other Beam products that are damn good, but alas, both have been discontinued.

Taste is subjective, I'll be the 1st to admit it, and I'll also say there are a lot of bourbons out there that will truly surprise you, as long as you don't go by the label and hype. There are some real sleepers out there, but I'm gonna keep those to myself

Quote Originally Posted by hatcreek View Post
    I vote for more distilled spirits threads if it'll get Tom and R.D. to hang around more often.

Bite me

15. Member
    A bottle of Elija Craig and Johnny Walker Blue followed me home today, not sure which I am going to interogate tonight.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KYRANGERMAN View Post
    Slide1.JPG
    The great thing about people having different tastes and preferences is that it helps spread out the demand. I have a couple bottles of CEHT Small Batch and, while I like it, I can live without it so I'll move on. Haven't tasted their Single Barrel or Barrel Proof so I might circle back to those one day.

17. Member
    The great thing about people having different tastes and preferences is that it helps spread out the demand. I have a couple bottles of CEHT Small Batch and, while I like it, I can live without it so I'll move on. Haven't tasted their Single Barrel or Barrel Proof so I might circle back to those one day.
    Single barrel is just that, they can very a lot. I bought 1 about 4yrs ago and opened it that night and was was a camel/toffee bomb. I waited a few days and tried again. Still sweet but the oak came out and it was very well rounded and it was a very good barrel. I went back and grabbed 2 more of the same date codes. I still have 1 left but they can be good/bad. Full Proof is good, but has a tendency to be really, really hot (ethanol). Once proofed down a tad, they are quite enjoyable, but they are pretty much a SiB as well too, so can vary.

For a Barrel Proof, I usually try & stick with 1792FP or ECBP. they seem to be the most consistent. 1920 is decent as well, but I've never been a fan of the Old Forester distillate.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EJmagnum186-NH View Post
    LOL, yeah I have been bit by the bourbon bug in the past. I just recently sold of the majority of my collection Weller Special, Antique, Blanton's etc. I started collecting because I actually like bourbon, but with all of this hunting craze, it just kind of sucked the fun out of it for me so I sold it all off and made a profit but not the outrageous prices that the secondary market is getting. Still sitting on a bottle of Pappy 12 . The trick is, buy at least 2 bottles of whatever you are hunting when buying at retail prices. One to drink and 1 to sell if you want to ....or just continue on drinking the 2nd bottle. BTW, if you can find 1792 Sweet Wheat, buy as much as you can.....That and Weller Special are my 2 favorites to drink and they are not going to release Sweet Wheat this year from what I understand so that will be a sound investment to flip at a retail of on $40/ bottle.
    I did manage to find a couple of 1972 Sweet Wheats. Great stuff!! Gone through most of my first bottle.

19. Member
    Assuming you view that to be a "problem," you need a bourbon buddy (or two) and a handful of 4 oz sample bottles. It'll cut your testing budget in half. I don't buy as much as my buddy so the swap is always lopsided.

PXL_20210401_181616036.jpg
    What a great idea!! Not sure if you're this is what you mean, but I'd be happy to do this with whoever wants to swap some samples. Sounds like a great way to try out a bunch of stuff.
    I actually got a set of samples for Xmas from a local bourbon bar - the result was me spending another $250 on the stuff I liked.

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hatcreek View Post
    I'm not 100% certain that everybody would be on board with that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12