Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    In theory, removing the 5" extension is not that difficult. Some hardware must be changed, etc.

However: The gearcase is a bit of a different story. Not quite as simple as "just pull the 25" shaft out and shove the 20" shaft in": The entire gearcase must be reshimmed.

Additionally, it is very important that Mercury be on board with these changes. Otherwise- there may be problems in the future as the serial number and model number will not match the engine's configuration.

You might be wise to make a phone call yourself just to explain the situation and find out how to best address it.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    In theory, removing the 5" extension is not that difficult. Some hardware must be changed, etc.

However: The gearcase is a bit of a different story. Not quite as simple as "just pull the 25" shaft out and shove the 20" shaft in": The entire gearcase must be reshimmed.

Additionally, it is very important that Mercury be on board with these changes. Otherwise- there may be problems in the future as the serial number and model number will not match the engine's configuration.

You might be wise to make a phone call yourself just to explain the situation and find out how to best address it.

You Rock! Don.
    I talked to customer service and they have referred me back to the dealer. they gave me some advise (but was understandably caseous. I have a call into the dealer and hopefully they can resolve the shaft issue by working with Mercury to not void any warranty. I agree with the comments that he should have never sold me the 25" model. I do know that it was his only one and he knew before I drove 2.5 hours that it was on a bass boat and was replacing an XR6.

I hope he can resolve the gold service package issue, convert this motor to a 20" shaft without voiding any warranty and with Mercury's blessings. If not I wonder where I go from here? He sold my old motor that I traded in and I paid cash :(

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Let's see how things go with the dealer... hopefully they will make it relatively simple.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

The dealer is incredibly unethical to sell and rig a 25" engine for you. The amount of time and energy wasted on their bad rigging and being the wrong engine is crazy. Sometimes it is surprising the consumer wouldn't know better but ultimately it is unethical to take advantage of someone who doesn't know.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12